The Rising

Colette

I sat on the floor sliding my fingers through my hair wondering where everyone else could be. Did they all find more adequate shelters? Forget about me? … Die? I shook the last thought out of my mind as I continued to comb my hair with my fingers. I look down at my phone waiting for a reply from Alois. I got a nervous feeling in my gut that something bad happened. I reached over and looked at the phone. The batter was low and it looked like it could die any minute now. It was also a little after noon. I looked around the plane thinking that I should not stay here anymore. This is not very zombie proof.
I stood up and slowly put stuff away. Something was pulling me to leave the plane quickly now. I made sure I had weapons before I exited the plane. I was just hoping I could find everyone soon. I jumped down and began to walk into the woods. Part of me believed this was stupid and I should have stayed there. I was always told to stay still when I in danger but I think it does not matter anymore with the dead rising. I was walking for what felt like forever till I saw something that was not a tree. During the trip I did not see any zombies.
I reached a small town that reminded me of the dream I had on the tree. I quickly ran and hide behind some random house and looked down the street. It looked completely abandoned from here. I sighed as I walked over toward the door of the house. Before attempting to actually open the door I looked into the windows and saw no lights or movement. I opened the door and walked inside and quickly checked every room of the house (basement up to the attic). They were all clear of zombies.
I realized a few things during my search about the family. The family was big; according to the pictures they had about seven kids. On the second floor there were four bedrooms and both the basement and attic were transformed into bedrooms. On the first floor there was a huge kitchen filled with food. There was also a bunch of weapons that were perfect against the walkers. According to the photographs both the father and oldest son were cops and two of the younger sons were baseball players. I found two hand guns and two new metal baseball bats in the house. I couldn’t help but wonder what happened to this family. Did they get turned or something? This is a perfect house against the walkers.
I walked from the front and back door making sure they were locked as I made a mental note to board up the windows. I walked back up the attic and peered out the window to see if I could get a better look at the street. It was still empty. I smiled at the thought of a perfect hideaway here. This was too good to be true… The smile quickly disappeared as I backed away from the window. What if it is actually too good to be true? What if this is actually one of my dreams? I pinched myself hoping I would wake up if this was lie and just a dream. I hope I would wake up still in my bed at home. Maybe even have my mom yelling upstairs at me to hurry up and that I will be late for school. It did not happen though. I backed up toward the wall and slid down it looking around the attic bedroom. Something seemed off about the house and the block. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes feeling exhausted. Why have I been getting sleepy so easily lately? That is when I heard a loud noise downstairs. It was glass breaking and a… gunshot?