The Rising

Justin

Thank god Alfreda was here, I just almost… died. I shook the idea out of my head.
“Justin?” Alfreda asked. Oh she was talking and I did not even realize.
“Wh-what?” I asked still in shock and I noticed a dog run up stop beside her, where did it come from? Am I hallucinating? “We need to get out of here” I said and she nodded her head as we headed away from the clearing.
“Do you know where the others are?” Alfreda asked as the two of us got a safe distance away from the clearing.
“I-I don’t know” I said, “I think I saw Co-” I could not finish the sentence. Colette is probably dead, and it is my fault. I should have watched her!!
“No” Alfreda said stopping finally understanding what I meant, “a-are you sure?”
“I could be wrong” I suggested staring at the ground, “I pray I am wrong. But part of me really believes she was in the pile.”
“I’m sorry” Alfreda said as silence fell between the two of us. Neither of us made an attempt to continue walking. All I could hear now was the wind in the trees and animals.
“What is with the dog?” I asked as the dog ran over to sniff some tree.
“I found him” she said smiling, “in some house. I thought she could be helpful.”
“Yeah he could be” I said trying to smile, “I guess we should continue just in case…” Alfreda nodded her head in agreement as the two of us continued to walk away with the dog on our tail. Neither of us said anything and the only thing that ran through my mind was the picture of what could be my only families’ dead body. How did she even get there? Should knows how to protect herself right? She had a baseball bat the last time I saw her. Maybe she was cornered? Surrounded?
I shook the through out of my mind, I can’t be thinking about the dead right now… well not that dead at least. I guess all that is left is to find Gustav…
“Do you know where Gustav could be?” I asked as I peered over at Alfreda who just shrugged her shoulders.
“He could be anywhere” she said as she looked back, “he co-could also be there too.”
“Let’s just hope he isn’t” I said, “and that I am wrong.” I just wish I could take my own advice…