The Rising

Colette

“Guys, we need a plan, and we need supplies. We might be here for a while, but we can’t stay here forever. Whatever idiot broke into that car is going to be zombie food, and so will we unless we work together” Gustav stated, his voice no louder than a whisper. I knew it was true but I did not say anything. I could not take my eyes off of the scene occurring in the front of the store.
“What supplies should we get? Luckily this store has everything” Justin said from beside me.
“Well, we will definitely need some food” Alfreda started.
“Medicine” Gustav said.
Without turning to look at the others I added “weapons”
“I guess we should get started… ummm… do is at a group or split up?” Justin asked as I finally looked at the others. The zombies were circling around the car ignoring the store.
“A group vould be better” Gustav responded and I nodded my head.
“Well, should we start with food or come back here when we are done with getting the rest” Alfreda said standing up.
I copied her and said “I think the latter.”
“We should go get the medicine first, there are bags on the way there so it can be easier to carry” Justin said as everyone began to get up. I felt nervous as the four of us quietly worked our way toward the front of the store. We stood low just in case a zombie had made its way inside of the store and found our way to the bags. We each took one plain Jansport bag and headed to the front of the store toward the medicine. We took two boxes of antibiotic band aids, alcohol, gauze pads, ace bandages, aspirin, tape, and needle & thread (for stitches). Alfreda somehow was able to break into the back and took two bottles of morphine. We stuffed everything into a first aid box and stuffed it into one of the bags. We then went on an adventure to the back of the store where they kept most of the sports stuff. We sometimes heard strange noises then realized it was one of us. Halfway there we had to go through the clothes section.
“Shouldn’t we also get spare clothes… just in case” I whispered. The other three looked at me like I was crazy, thinking about clothes shopping during this time. After a few seconds of thinking they agreed.
“Just get… two outfits… ones that are easy to move around in” Justin said and we separated quickly. Alfreda and I took two pairs of jeans each, two random t-shirts and a jacket and pair of sneakers (you never know when you need a spare). We went to the boys section to see that they had just finished. We continued our way to the back and found the guns.
“Has anyone actually shot one of these?” Alfreda whispered.
Justin nodded his head, “yeah, real ones and paintball.”
“Only paintball” I responded.
“I have” Gustav said.
“I am the only one then… how are we going to get them out” Alfreda asked and the four of us looked around for the keys. After a few minutes we came back with a few other weapons (just two baseball bats).
“This might not be a good idea” I said nervously but I was too late. Justin took the baseball bat and broke open the glass. No one moved afterward, we were just listening. Nothing. They did not hear. I gave a small sigh as Justin and Gustav reached in and pulled out a few of the guns and a lot of ammo bullets. We took six small guns to make it easy to carry.
“We shouldn’t use the guns a lot, the sound would attract more of them” Justin said as we began to move slowly back to our original location, the food isle. We began to take some non perishable foods and stuff it into our bags. That is when we heard a noise. None of us moved, they were slow footsteps. What could it be? I looked at the other three who went pale and looked nervous.