The Rising

Colette

I froze terrified, someone else was here? What if they were dangerous? I gulped nervously, I finally found, what looked like, a great hiding place and now that dream might already be crushed now.
I stood up; I couldn’t prolong the inventible for long. I headed toward the door to go to the second floor and standing there was an older man. The man looked around 55 years old with short black hair streaked with gray and dark brown eyes. He had his gun raised to shoot and paused for a second.
“Have you been bitten?” he asked in a low voice and I looked at him confused for a second, “can you talk girl?”
“Yes… I mean no, I haven’t been bitten” I replied quickly feeling as if the words jumbled in my mouth. He quickly lowered the gun and rushed upstairs pass me to examine the attic.
“All clear” he said.
“I could have told you that” I muttered, “who are you?”
“Xavier, and you are?” he asked.
“Colette” I answered as I felt my nerves finally calm down. At least he is a person; I am not a lone anymore. That is definitely a plus.
“Are you a lone?” Xavier asked, “a pretty young girl like you shouldn’t be. Probably terrified with all this shit around.”
My eyes widened a little, “umm… I wasn’t until just recently… we just recently split up.” I don’t know if I should have told the truth or not.
“How many?” Xavier asked.
“Three others” I blurted out.
“Well, I’ve been a lone for a while” Xavier said as he headed downstairs and I slowly followed, “a much larger group, bless their souls. A guard accidentally fell asleep one night, the same night a blind spot in our defense was emphasized. My wife and kids were one of the ones that we… you probably don’t care about any of this.”
“I’m sorry to hear” I said, I really didn’t know what else to say. Xavier probably wasn’t that bade then… He left the house quickly to get his supplies and I realized what had happened before. A broken glass cup was now shattered on the floor and a zombie that I missed laid dead again on the ground. It’s a good thing Xavier came then, if it would have attacked when I wasn’t paying attention… I don’t want to think. I quickly ran upstairs before Xavier came back to get my own pack and when I got back downstairs Xavier had thrown his stuff on the floor in front of the couch and was going through the cabinets and taking out food to sort. “There is some metal baseball bats, and guns in the bedrooms upstairs” I informed him as the silence continued to stretch out.
“That’s good, can you bring them down?” he asked not even attempting to look at me. I nodded my head forgetting he wasn’t watching and headed upstairs to get anymore supplies. I didn’t want to feel useless now. When I got back I saw him splitting up the food now by expiration date. I placed the stuff on the couch and walked over toward the window to see a few stragglers had now appeared on the street.
“Are you okay?” Xavier asked as he placed a hand on my shoulder causing me to jump.
“Y-yes” I responded.
“Are you sure, you look… have you been sleeping well since you split from your group?” he asked and I shook my head no, “well go and get some sleep in one of the rooms upstairs, a tired fighter is a fighter who can’t sleep and we need fighters for this battle.” I nodded my head as I began to head up stairs. As I walked into the room I made sure I locked in the door. I was in the master bedroom, on the second floor; it had its own bathroom. I headed toward the bathroom to see the water still running and took a quick shower before finding some random oversized clothes in the closet to wear to sleep. I climbed onto of the blankets and had trouble falling asleep. My thoughts kept going to Justin, Alfreda and Gustav. Where were they? Are they okay? Are they still a live? Why did we all have to get separated…? As I slowly began to fall asleep I quickly remembered the cell phone and jumped out of bed. The house still had electricity, maybe solar power, and I quickly searched the room for a phone charger. Luckily most phones seem to have the same charger and I found one right away. I plugged it into the outlet and into my phone then fell asleep waiting for a response.

I opened my eyes to hear a loud banging coming from outside the door.
“Colette, are you okay?” Xavier’s voice called out. How long had I been asleep? I got out of bed and walked over to unlock the door. Xavier had an anxious expression on his face.
“Yes, did something happen?” I asked nervously and he shook his head no.
“I was just making sure you were okay, you slept for a long time” he responded before heading back downstairs.
“Thanks” I said with a small sigh as my nerves calmed down. I followed him and stopped when I realized something. I didn’t have a nightmare again, that is good right? It’s a break from the current horror of life and my other nightmares. I took a deep breath and continued to head downstairs to see that Xavier did a lot of work while I was sleeping. He boarded up all the windows so the only light I saw was from the lamps, he organized the food, and he reorganized the whole living room. Everything was now pushed against the walls leaving more walking space. “Wow” I muttered surprised and looked at Xavier who looked exhausted. He let out a long yawn and I laughed, “are you tired? You should get some sleep.”
“Yawning isn’t a sign of being tired, it’s actually lack of oxygen in your lungs momentarily or something like that” Xavier stated, “but I will go and get some shut eye.”
“How did you know that?” I asked curiously.
Xavier smiled as he began to head upstairs to get some sleep, “Snapple cap.”