The Rising

Justin

I love how I was just stuck with the leader position with out asking for it, but since I was the oldest it made sense.
“So, I guess we should get the stuff and try to leave… preferably the back way since the front is crowded by zombies” I said and all three of them agreed. We made our way to the back of the store and toward the storage section. It was really crowded and messy. A lot of them stuff had fallen off the shelves and there were actual random pools of blood. I avoided looking at them as I looked around and listened for any noises.
We quickly made it to the place where trucks would drop off the products. The door was wide open letting the bright midday sun in. I smiled at the fact there was no zombies in my visual field but that did not make everything safe. There were two huge dumpsters to my right that smelled horribly and a gate around the perimeter of the store. Past the gate were a few houses which were (at least I guess) abandoned and or filled with zombies. But it was worth a try.
“Sneak into one of the houses?” I asked, “to camp for the night.”
“That sounds good” Alfreda said and Gustav and Colette nodded their heads. We quietly made our way across the parking lot. It felt like million miles as we kept looking around expecting to see one of them. We hopped the fence (which luckily was not that high) and went into a random house.
“Ve should lock ze doors and windows zen search ze house for any of zem” Gustav said as soon as we entered the house. I heard Colette lock the door as I went to the front door and locked it. The four of us stood in a group as we searched high and low.
I heard Colette gasp and nearly scream “crap“. I turned around to see a zombie at the window, luckily he did not see us and the four of us got out of eye view.
“Should we hide on the second floor?” Alfreda suggested.
“That would be a good idea” I said as we went upstairs. There were three bedrooms but we decided it would be better if we all slept in the same room. We took chances in the bathroom cleaning up and changing. When we were done we sat in the master bedroom in silence.
“So, how about the role thing? We have time to decide now” Colette said with a small smile.
“Vell, ve have a leader. All ve need to decide vo is going to be ze medic and ze fighting most” Gustav said and everyone looked at him. He looked back at us confused.
Alfreda then broke the silence, “you are the youngest, it would be better if you were the medic.” Gustav did not argue to his new role. I looked out of the window, the only thing I could see was the sky which was getting darker then I realized something.
“How are we all going to sleep? All sleep at once, or in shifts?” I asked the other three.
Gustav answered with “shifts sound better.”
“How would we do it?” Colette asked.
Silence filled the room until Alfreda finally answered, “maybe one or two of us could stay up while the others sleep? Shifts could last about two hours?”
Gustav replied with a yawn, “one at a time sounds better.”
“In what order?” Colette asked, nobody responded.
Alfreda broke the silence, “I would rather go last.”
I took a small sigh and responded with, “I guess I will be first.” Colette and Gustav looked at each other nervously.
“I guess I can go second” Gustav said.
“That means Colette is third” I pointed out and I turned my eyes back to the window. The sky was almost orange; the sun was soon going to be gone.
“Eat then sleep?” I heard Gustav suggest and everyone murmured their agreements. We began to eat and soon fell asleep. I looked at my watch to make sure the timing was right. While everyone was asleep I began to pace impatiently back and forth in the room. I looked out side once and toward the front lawn to see tons of zombies roaming around, I doubt we were going to leave soon. I backed away from the window and to the other side of the room. I leaned against the wall taking deep breaths as her face invaded my vision. My mother had tried to kill her own family; her own niece and son. I felt a shiver down my spine and looked at my watch, another hour and a half. I began to feel exhausted; this is probably the longest hour and a half in my life. After a while of staring at the wall listening to others sleeping (occasional sleep talking) I looked at my watch and it was time. I walked over to Gustav and shook him awake. His eyes opened and he sat up confused.
“It’s your turn” I said as I walked over and lie down in my spot and instantly fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
(Comments make us happy <3 )