The Rising

Alfreda

Ten minutes after my guard duty started I grew bored of sitting in the room. Between the other three I was certain that the entire house had been explored. But what else could I do besides sit and cower in fear? I had just seen my father-not very long ago-as a zombie. He hadn’t even recognized his own daughter and tried to have me as a late night snack.

How far has this spread now? How long will it be until the entire world succumbs to this? Without having realized it, I had made my way out of the master bedroom and down the staircase. I pulled my jacket tighter around me and surveyed the living room. My eyes fell on a seemingly untouched door. I tightened my hold on the bat I had, and opened it with surprising ease.

The room was small, and painted a deep violet color. A chest was in one corner, and in the opposite corner was a rocking chair containing only a teddy bear. I moved inside the room and shut the door behind me. There was nothing else that I could see.

Frowning to myself, I moved over to the chest and opened it. Inside I found a stack of old coloring books, a notebook, a pack of pre-sharpened pencils, and a box of crayons. I came to the conclusion this was a playroom of some sorts. I moved over to the bookshelf, searching it carefully. Quickly I found a few books that I wouldn’t mind reading and a few for Gustav and the others too. I gathered the books and snatched up the teddy bear as well. Whoever had owned it before wouldn’t need it now.

I felt bad for the poor kid. In fact, I felt bad for all of us. It seemed that we were the only people left in the entire world. All we had was one another now. If we didn’t all stick together we’d surely die. We were each other’s only family now. As far as I knew we were the only survivors of this thing.

Angered at my own thoughts I moved back upstairs, and pulled back the curtains of the master bedroom’s window. The sun was starting to peek up over the horizon. I still had an hour and a half left of guard duty though.

I let the curtains fall back into place and turned to look at everyone. Justin was asleep, appearing as if everything was normal. Colette was also fast asleep. Gustav was muttering in German in his sleep, though honestly the other two were mumbling something as well.

Sighing, I maneuvered over to his corner of the room and placed the bear by his bag. I realized that things would never be the same again. We’d never sleep in a warm bed ever again, eat home cooked meals ever again, never go to school again…This was a terrible way to grow up.

I shook my head hard, and waited out the rest of my guard duty sitting in the middle of the room. I wasn’t the leader of the group, but I knew that our best bet was to stay here for at least half of the day tomorrow. We needed to decide on everything-like where we would go and how we would get out of here.

Soon enough my watch made a soft beeping noise, telling me my two hours were up. Not only that, but it was morning.

I pulled myself over to Justin and shook him awake.

“It’s morning. We survived the night.”