Status: Uncomplete

Ellyn

Chapter One

A sullen silence hung in the air. Six girls, each clothed in beautiful, fine clothing, clutched their hankerchiefs or one and other. The only sound to break the deafening silence was the constant tick-tock of the polished Grandfather clock. Ellyn, the second youngest of the sisters, could not fully comprehend why they could not join Mother in her room. When the girls had arrived at their Mother's room at two o' clock for tea, as they always did, they had been ushered into her sitting room; where they had been waiting ever since.

Though she was young, Ellyn could at least sense that something was wrong, judging by the somber expressions her older sisters wore. That, and they clutched their delicate lace hankerchiefs in their hands as if they might need it soon. Ellyn glanced worriedly toward the door. She knew her Mother had been sick ever since she had given birth to her youngest sister, Guinevere. Her mother rarely ever left her room, and she never hosted balls anymore, or even attended them. She had heard the servants talk that the Queen, her mother, would not survive the winter. She chose not to believe them.

Ellyn adored her mother. She loved her mother's soft voice and gentle manners. She loved the way that ,when Ellyn prattled on to much, she would gently pat her head and tell her to go play. She even loved the scent of roses and mint that always seemed to hang around her mother. Ellyn aspired to be exactly like her mother when she grew up. Then, she thought, people would call her Ellyn the Kind as they called her mother. And what a nice name that would be to have.

Without warning, the door suddenly burst open and out strode the King. He passed them without a word, slamming the sitting room door behind him. The older girls shared alarmed looks, rising slightly, gathering their skirts as they did. Even in the saddest of situations, the girls still retained their impeccable manners. The aging man who had ushered them into the sitting room, now stood at the door. He wore the dress of the head royal doctor; a dark blue shirt and a brown vest and pants.

"Her majesty would like to see you all," As all the girls suddenly rose from their seats, he added. "One at a time."

"Princess Ellyn, she wishes to see you first."

Ellyn rose from her seat, casting a frightened glance at her older sister, Isolde. She was frightened of what she might see. Over the years, she had grown used to her mother looking pale and weak, but what if there was blood? When her cousin Prince Edmund had come to visit, he had told her that when people died there was blood everywhere. What if that was true with Mother? She shuddered to think of her mother in such a belittling state.

"Go," Isolde said in a soft, shaking voice, pushing her slightly.

Obediently, Ellyn followed the doctor into her mother's room. The curtains were drawn tightly, leaving the room dim with frightening shadows. Her mother lay in her bed, the covers piled high around her. She looked paler than Ellyn ever remembered seeing her. There were heavy bags under her eyes and her usually luscious blonde hair was hanging in strings around her face.

Her mother's condition frightened Ellyn greatly and she stopped a foot away from the bed. She was to scared to touch her mother. She looked so fragile as if one touch might break her into a million pieces.

"Come here, little flower," Her mother said, smiling and holding her arms out weakly.

Ellyn was instantly soothed by her mother's embrace. She breathed her scent in. "You are not leaving, are you Mother?"

Her mother smiled weakly down at her. "My dear child, sometimes...we must leave... when we do not wish to."

"I don't want you to go," Ellyn proclaimed. "The King does not know how to play games."

"Perhaps he can learn," Her mother replied. "But there is something I must tell you... Before I speak with your other sister."

"You will find, that as you get older... your beauty is as much a curse as it is... a blessing. Promise me...Promise me that you will not let anyone let you become a pawn."

Ellyn nodded. Even though she was young, she knew that she was the most beautiful of all her sisters. Though she loved her mother dearly, she knew that her mother was considered 'plain'. Most people of the North had been hesitant when they had learned that a match between their handsome prince and the plain princess of the West had been arranged to unite the two kingdoms. That quickly dissolved when they saw how the young princess's actions made up for her outward appearance.

All of her sisters had inheriated her mother's plain looks. She had been the only one to inheriate her father's. The only thing she had recieved from her mother, looks wise, was her pale skin. Many people guessed that the young princess would soon become a pawn in the war between the North and the South as soon as she came of age.

"Yes, Mother, I won't."

"Now," Her mother replied, laying her head down on her pillow. "Give your poor mother a kiss before you go."

Ellyn obliged, hugging her mother tightly. "I love you, Mother."

"As do I love you. Remember that, always."

Ellyn wanted to stay with her mother,refuse to let her sisters see Mother, but she knew that would only disapoint her mother. Something she never wanted to do, especially now since it seemed her mother was close to leaving. Like a good girl, she left the room and the next sister entered the room. Little did she know then, that would be the last time she saw her mother.