Status: working on it

Say You Like Me

What a Coincidence

She sat in the waiting area of Gate 37 to California. Actually, this plane went to Salt Lake City, but in Salt Lake City would be where she boarded for California. Mark’s wedding was in four days and she couldn’t stand another second not being there right this moment with him. She hadn’t seen Mark since Thanksgiving five years ago when she decided to move from Laguna Hills California to out of all places, Chicago. She was a creative person. She wanted to be an artist or a writer or a fashion designer. Anything that could show how much her work inspired her. Mark was all in for it. He supported her, but why hadn’t her parents? Of course they would be there, but she would do her best to try and avoid them at all means. Just then a lady’s voice came on the loud speaker announcing that her plane was ready to board. She gathered with other pedestrians in a line and waited for her turn just like everyone else to get on the plane.
When she got to her seat, she found no one sitting next to her, and for that she was relieved. Obviously at some point someone was bound to sit next to her, but at the moment she was hoping it wouldn’t have to come to that. After about five minutes sitting in her seat playing with her seat belt she heard someone clear their throat. She looked up and found a blonde girl around her age standing in the isle, hands on hips looking at her in away that didn’t make her feel to good. “I think you might be sitting in the wrong seat,” she said not really mean at all but not too nice either. She took one look at her and then quickly looked away. It was the same girl from the café. It was…her. “Yeah…sorry my seat’s on the end, but I hope you don’t mind if I sit here.” She was looking, not at the girl, but up at the warning signals hoping they would blink for everyone to take their seats so the blonde girl would just sit down already and forget about the seating arrangements. “Actually, I do. You’re sitting in my boyfriend’s seat. I’m in the middle,” she said looking at her ticket in her hands. “Looks like you’re on the edge.” She was starting to grow a grudge for that girl. Just then dazzling bluish-green eyed boy came walking up the isle. Her breath caught in her throat. She turned her head so she was facing the window. She heard him whisper to her. The blonde started arguing with him. In the end, he sat in the middle, and the blond girl sat in the isle seat. He was sitting right next to her. Their shoulders practically touching. “Hi,” he said to her and the blonde girl grunted. Out of the corner of her eye she saw him grab her hand like in a comforting gesture. She didn’t respond. “I’m Callum, this,” he says lifting his intertwined fingers, “is Allison.” He looks over at her and smiles, but Allison was frowning in the opposite direction. He looks back at her. “So what’s your name?” He still hadn’t recognized her. Was it him? Was he the same guy? Because it definitely was the same girl from the café. She finally answers but still doesn’t look at him. “Kelsey,” she spoke, softly. She could feel him smiling at her, but she wasn’t sure if he was smiling at the fact that maybe he’d recognized her or that her name reminded him of the song by Metro Station. She finally looked at him giving in at fighting trying to hide her identity even though there wasn’t anything to hide it with. His expression changed. It was an unfamiliar expression she wasn’t sure she’d ever seen before on any person. Not even on TV. I can’t even describe it. But he was definitely astounded. He barely whispered “It’s you…” before the flight attendant spoke on the loud speaker announcing it was time for lift off. After that it was quiet for quite some time and then Allison started talking to Callum about something Kelsey couldn’t hear that well. She was staring out the window wondering about how much might have changed in Laguna Hills when she over heard Callum and Allison talking about a…wedding…in Laguna Hills, California. “I’m sorry,” she said looking at the both of them now. “Did you say you were going to a wedding?” She’d heard it right. “Listen to others’ conversations much?” Allison said just as she was shushed by Callum. “Yeah…we are,” he was looking at her now, with amusement. “Um…me too, that’s why I’m…here,” she said referring to the plane. Callum nodded considerately. “Where are you headed?” He asked. “California, for my brother, Mark.” Something like comprehension washed over him. “Your…brother?” he asked. She nodded and looked away. “Where in California?” Allison asked amused now looking between her and Callum. “Laguna Hills. Well, actually it’s in Laguna Beach but he lives in Laguna Hills.” She was curious as to why they were so curious about the wedding. “Are we thinking of the same Mark?” Allison asked. “Mark Mathews?” She asked. “Omigod! We are!” Allison squealed. She was stunned; they were going to the same wedding. He was going to the same wedding. “Are you related?” Allison asked. “I’m his sister,” she said. “Maid of Honor,” Allison said. “No way, you know Hayley?” Allison nodded and then sat back, a wicked smile on her face. Kelsey sat back and looked out the window.
“So…this will be fun…” Callum said just throwing it out there to fill the awkwardness that was starting to grow between him and the two of them.