Status: Made it to chapter six, and now severe writer's block.

Out of the Light

Chapter 1 - Heartless

The birds above me screamed. They were catching up with me. One of the birds dived and a yelp escaped my lips as I fell. It picked the skin off my outstretched arm and took off again. Finally reaching me feet once more, I started running again. My heart thumped heavily against my chest as I saw them gather in a tree. They looked like ravens, except for those wide white eyes watching me as I rush by.

Heavy black drops fell from the red sky, splashing onto my tanned, blistered face, leaving a bitter taste in my dried mouth. The grey trees were tinted blue from acid. I was careful not to brush the branches as I passed by.

My pace slowed as I turned onto an open road. The cracked stone pavement was molded in places and was ripped open as the earth shook. I sat down heavily, waiting out the earthquakes and praying that the ground below me wouldn't open up. My tear-streaked face met the blistering hot pavement as I laid down. I couldn’t walk anymore, couldn’t run. My bones ached. And so did my heart.

I closed my eyes and tried remembering again. Ever since I’d woken up naked in the woods, skin scorched and blistered, I had strained to remember. I could remember my name, my old clothes, that I looked mostly the way I should, but I couldn’t remember anything else. Where I lived, what my life was like. What if I had family? Were they okay? Did they worry about me?

And the most important question: Where was I?

I opened my eyes and shuddered at what I saw.

Something was walking down the lifeless road towards me. It wasn’t a Mindless for sure because he was slumped over, watching his bare feet as he walked. His dark, greasy hair was stuck up in all directions and his mutilated body was bleeding everywhere I could see. I pulled myself into a crouch, ready to run, but I could only run if he was a Soulless. Please be a Soulless.

He tripped over his feet and his head snapped up. My gray eyes met his immediately and he stopped abruptly. His green eyes widened in shock and my tears started pouring once more. A Soulless doesn’t show emotion.

He was a Heartless.

I jumped up and ran like a deer from its predator. I knew he’d find me, eat my mind, my emotion, but I had to try. I had to fight.

“Wait, please!” My pace faltered at the strangled cry. Trick, trick, it’s a trick. I sped up again.

“Oh God, please! Please stop!” I looked back. He wasn’t running after me, he was stumbling forward, a scared child. I halted and stared as he approached, water pouring down his face.

I took a few steps back as he got closer. “Who are you?” I asked cautiously.

“G-Gerard. Help m-me. Please.” He approached quicker and, before I could react, threw his arms around my shoulders. Shock practically radiated from my body as he shook from his gut-wrenching tears. I wanted to flinch away from the dead corpse hugging my body, but it was just so pathetic.

So desperate.

“I don’t know what has happened to me.” I heard him whimper. I stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to do. His head was resting on my chest, leaving blood stains on my white shirt, still crying. My hands had fallen to my sides; I couldn’t bring myself to comfort the thing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Anyone guessing who the tragic hero is, yet?