Status: Made it to chapter six, and now severe writer's block.

Out of the Light

Chapter 2 - Naked and Blistered

My eyes darted from the trees, to the sky, and then to him. I was waiting for the birds to return, for him to attack, for something to come looking for him. He, however, was slumped over, looking broken and dejected, his body still occasionally shaking with a sob. We walked down the forlorn road in silence, me jumpy, and him almost completely withdrawn.

________________________________

I knew I was scaring her, and I really didn’t like that. I wasn’t dangerous, was I?

My bloodshot, wet eyes avoided her suspicious ones, the cracking and festering ground below me was more interesting, but I could feel her looking at me. I didn’t want to see the disgust and revulsion in her face. My body would still shake involuntarily as my chest spewed an undesirable sorrow. I couldn’t seem to make it stop. Another whimper left my lips as I noticed that blood was seeping through my trousers again. I quickly glanced at the grey and brown bag on her back before conversing with the ground again.

“P-pardon me?” My voice was cracked, like there was gravel stuck in my throat.

“What?” she snapped quickly. My brows furrowed; I wasn’t doing anything to her.

“Do you have any bandages in there?” I muttered, throwing a pointed glance at her bag. She snorted.

“Like that’ll help.”

“Please?” I begged. I couldn’t stand all this blood. It reminded me of something, hit a switch in my brain every time I noticed it; I just couldn’t remember.

Something flickered in her eyes before her face fell. “Fine, but hurry up. We’ve gotta move.” She threw the bag at me and I looked at her.

“Erm, I don’t want to get blood on your stuff,” I held up my bloodied hands, “and where are we going?”

She rolled her eyes and pulled some grey bandage out of her bag and handed it to me, but she didn’t answer my question.

I gripped my trousers, ready to pull them down and stifle the blood before I remembered modesty.

“Um, sorry, does nudity bother you?” I asked, a little embarrassed. She rolled dark grey her eyes again. That was quickly getting annoying.

“Does it really matter?” she sneered. I flinched. I didn’t understand why she was being so rude. Yes, I was dead, bloody, repulsive, but I hadn’t done anything wrong.

I pulled my trousers down quickly and groaned at my leg. Blood was gushing out of it this time, with pus oozing around the edges. How could I possibly bleed so much? Shouldn’t it all be gone already? I heard a gasp and my head snapped up. Her face was contorted with different emotions: revulsion, horror, worry, pity… Pity.

“Don’t worry, it doesn’t hurt or anything.” I muttered quietly. I saw her foot move as if it were squishing a bug as I bent over, wrapping the bandage around my torn leg.

“What happened?” Her voice was weak this time, not strong and annoyed.

I sighed in relief, thinking that maybe we could get along after all, as I answered her question. “I don’t know. I woke up like this, bloody and naked in an alley.”

She nodded. We started walking along again. Her chest rose and fell quickly as I remember the blood stain I had left there.

“I’m sorry about your shirt. How you managed to keep it so clean, I don’t know. Guess I kinda ruined it.”

She shrugged as she looked down at it. Her mouth opened and some stuttering noises came out of it, like it was painful to talk.

“I woke up, too, in the woods naked and blistered. Do you not remember anything either?” She gazed at me, her face covered in eager curiosity. I nodded and returned to staring at the ground.

“My name’s Lythia, by the way.” she whispered. I looked up again in surprise.

“Lythia.” I tried the name out. It was strange, but pretty, strong. I felt something around my hand and looked down to see our hands entwined together. She stared at me, determined.

“We’re going to make it out of here.” She stated simply. I saw a tear slide down her cheek and almost reached up to wipe it away, but I didn’t want to bloody her face.

She let go of my hand as she turned and led the way down a hidden trail into the woods. I cocked my head to the side at the funny way she moved, jumping and ducking in some places, it almost looked like she was dancing. Then, I noticed the blue trees. Naked and blistered.

I huffed, furious with the acidic, poisonous trees for hurting my new and only friend.

And I followed, not bothering to dodge the menacing trees. After all, I didn’t feel pain.