Just Believe

Lies

My life turned into a living nightmare.

That Monday after the party was like stepping into a terrible, terrible dream. I stepped into the school hallways, hoping that I wouldn’t see Austin. But what I did see was much, much worse.

The hallway was a mess of pictures. Pictures of me.

They were littered all over the ground, taped to lockers and walls.

Pictures of me drinking from the party, pictures of me dancing, pictures of Austin and I walking upstairs alone. Pictures of me leaving the party with Aaron. Some pictures were even photoshopped and some photos weren’t even of me. But since you couldn’t fully see the person in the pictures and someone claimed it was me apparently that made it true.

My brothers were furious and not at person you’d think. They were angry with me. They wouldn’t even listen to me. Instead they stormed down the hallway and left me alone to fend for myself.

Students looked at me with utter distrust. Austin began spreading rumors about me. Saying that I kept trying to force myself on him at the party. That when he refused to hook up with me that I left with Aaron.

He told everyone I was the advice columnist and suddenly nobody wanted to send in “Dear Annie,” letters.

I was no longer class treasurer and my cheerleading coach told me that she couldn't have me on the team this year. That it was best I recover and try out again next year.

It seemed like my life was spiraling out of control.

By lunch time my friends called a meeting. A meeting that wasn’t full of support.

I was kicked out of the paper.

“Nobody wants to take advice from you,” Brian said with shake of his head. I remember wanting to leap over the desk and strangle him.

“I know you want to be a psychiatrist when you get older, Cas.” Sarah said, and gave me a pitying look. “But perhaps that’s not the best career choice for you.”

“The point is,” Kyle, the editor of the paper said with a sigh. “Is that you can’t even control what’s going on in your own life. How do you expect to help anyone else with theirs?”

“But it’s not true!” I screeched, jumping out of my chair. I was tired of everyone not believing me. “Austin is making up everything. I never tried to force myself on him. Yes, I had something to drink at the dance, and yeah I danced but I never did anything that bad. You’re my friends, you’re supposed to believe me and be on my side.”

“How are we supposed to believe you when your own brothers don’t?” Sarah asked, crossing her arms over her chest. “You’ve got some serious problems, Cassie. You need help.”

“This meeting is over.” Kyle said before the three of them walked out of the room, leaving me there to cry.

After lunch there were more rumors spreading. Apparently I had been cheating on my tests, stealing things, doing drugs, and I gave the football teams playbook to Aaron. None true, obviously. I wouldn’t even know how to get my hands on the stupid playbook.

The football team was angry with me and the coaches weren’t going to take any chances so the team would have to learn a whole new set of plays.

My last period of the day I was called up to the principals office. I thought, finally, I can tell my story. But I was sent up there for a whole different reason.

“Several students have reported that you have brought alcohol to school." The principal said, her lips pursed and brows furrowed.

“That’s not true.” I said. She, of course, didn’t believe me. They had the security guards search my backpack and when they came up empty I was sure it would be all done and over with. But instead I was escorted to my locker.

And there, in my locker was orange juice filled with vodka.

I was utterly horrified, especially when Mrs. Perkins, the principal, turned her angry glare on me. “You’re suspended for two weeks.”

“That’s not mine!” I cried out. “Austin must have put it in there.”

“How would he have access to your locker?” Mrs. Perkins asked. Though she didn’t seem like she really wanted to know, nor would she believe me, she was just being courteous.

“We shared a locker for a while. His would always get stuck.” I told her.

But she didn’t believe me, of course. “Then explain why several students claim that they saw you with it.”

“They’re lying!” I said, starting to shake with anger. “Smell my breath!”

“Please step away from me.” Mrs. Perkins said, looking slightly horrified. “I’ve called your parents to alert them of your suspension. Your brothers will be taking you home.”

"I don't even like orange juice." I muttered. Mrs. Perkins only gave me a strange look.

I couldn’t wait to get home and cry into my pillow. I couldn’t wait until Henry came home that night from school at the local college so I could tell him everything knowing he wouldn’t be swayed by all the pictures since he didn’t see them.

The first part of the drive home was spent in dead silence. Harvey, who was sitting in the backseat of Parker’s truck with me kept giving me dirty looks.

Dan refused to speak to me and Parker just kept shaking his head while he drove us home.

“I didn’t do anything.” I said, in a whisper. “I’m your sister, you should believe me.”

“The pictures and principal say otherwise.” Harvey pointed out. “You’ve embarrassed all of us. Everyone knows you’re our sister.”

“Austin set me up.” I sniffled. I was trying so hard not to cry.

“Set you up?” Parker scoffed from the drivers seat. “That’s a whole lot of work for someone to go through just to get you in trouble.”

“We called Henry before first period,” Dan mumbled from his seat in front of me. “Wait until he finds out you were suspended.”

“It’s like we don’t even know you are anymore.” Harvey muttered.

“I’m still me!” I snapped. “You shouldn’t let these lies cloud the truth.”

“Did you go to the party?” Harvey asked, turning in his seat to face me.

“Well…yes but-”

“Did you drink?” Harvey asked, giving me a dirty look.

“Yes, but-”

“Did you dance like a stripper?”

“What? No! I danced but-”

“Did you really leave the party with that Aaron kid?” Parker asked this time.

The truck fell silent. I couldn’t lie, even then.

“Yes, I did. But only because Austin-”

“Austin this, Austin that.” Harvey cried, throwing his hands up in the air as we pulled into our driveway. “I’m sick of you blaming everything on Austin.”

The boys got out of the car, slamming the doors behind them.

I cringed and sat there in silence as I spotted my eldest brothers car. He should have still be in class. I had a feeling then that he wouldn’t be on my side.

When I went into the house all hell broke loose. I had all four of my brothers yelling at me at once. They were disappointed, upset, disgusted, the list went on and on. I didn’t even try to hold back my tears.

It felt like they yelled at me for hours, though in all actuality it was probably only a few minutes. Henry seemed to have enough before he dragged me to my bedroom and locked me in there until our parents came home.

My parents were disappointed, to say the least. My phone was taken away, my TV, my laptop, anything and everything. I was grounded and unable to leave my room unless I needed to use the restroom. I had my meals alone in my room, I spoke to no one, and by the end of the first week I felt like I was going to go mad.

With my mom being a stay-at-home wife made things difficult. I couldn’t sneak out during the day and sit in the backyard. Or watch TV in the living room or even make myself something to eat. So yes, it was difficult.

The whole situation was difficult.