A Wish Upon a Lucky Star

I

As i lay completely still, sprawled out on the battered leather couch in the break room with my jacket lay over my face i looked like i was catching up on some sleep to anyone else. I had been asleep gaining what was probably only half an hour but currently felt like a whole night. I could hear Sara and Grissom talking, sat at the table and the smell of food and coffee told me they were taking a break as well. I would of gotten up but my body was enjoying the rest my feet relieved to be elevated for a small amount of time after been stood on them for 12 hours.

Sara and Grissom’s voice had a happy tone to them and whatever they were talking about made Sara laugh for a few moment’s before i heard more rustling from food wrappers. Before long i heard one of the chairs scrape across the floor slightly before what sounded like newspaper pages been turned and figured they were reading some sort of article. I noticed that recently the two seemed to spend more time together during their breaks and i had actually seen Grissom out shopping with Sara not far from the strip. I was in a way glad to see that though as the two needed someone for them and they seemed to fit like puzzle pieces. Soon the low mumble on their talking wasn’t what i focused on as i let my eyes close once more under the darkness of my jacket a stark comparison to the bright lights within the lab’s and break room.

I must of fallen asleep because mere minutes later i pulled eyes open greatly i was still in darkness from the jacket. What had woken me though was the fact that there was a heavy weight now positioned on my hips. I slowly pulled the jacket form my face let my eyes adjust to the light as curiosity as to what was on me got the better of me.

As i looked up i took note of the fact Greg was sat there his alert face grinning cheekily as he just watched me. He lent forward gently kissing my lips before speaking in quite a low tone.

“Me, you and ‘Rick have a case. It’s only just come in. I will meet you in the parking lot we are leaving in five.”

I nodded as the alert Greg stood up and put out his hand pulling me to my feet. I grabbed my jacket and pulled it on knowing i would want it underneath my CSI vest. As Greg went to leave the break i shook my head at me and he stood still confusion apparent on his face as he waited for me to speak.

“Since you sat to me to wake me up i want a piggy bag to the lockers.”

I let a smile creep onto my face and watched Greg happily return it as he walked back over to me and i jumped onto his back. We may of been grown adults but it had been a long night we were allowed a little bit of fun in the middle. Plus it got us to the scene that little bit quicker. As he started walking i pecked his cheek gently. Once we got onto the corridor that was pretty empty however Greg decided to take things a little further and started to gallop towards the lockers. The change took me by surprise momentarily and i clung onto his chest to stop me falling off without strangling him.

As we continued past the labs in the same manner i watched as various lab techs turned their heads at the spectacle in the corridor. Greg decided to neigh a couple of times to clearly showing he had drank a little too much coffee already. As we passed the trace lab Hodges seemed jealous as me and Greg went past before finally stopping at the lockers and composing ourselves as adults once more. I grabbed my vest out my locker as well as my field kit before following Greg in a normal fashion this time down to the Tahoe where Warrick was already stood waiting.

It wasn’t a long drive before we were pulling up to the scene Greg filling both me and Warrick in on the details he had been given. We knew the DB was a young male who had been stabbed several times in the street. A couple of metres away lay the body of a female roughly the same age and who appeared to have similar wounds. Before we inspected the bodies ourselves though we walked over to where brass was stood a little away from the main area of the scene. As we approached brass discarded the officer he was talking to and instead turned to greet us.

“Coroner’s on his way and scene has been cordoned off both sides. There are two officers that have stepped into their scene, officer Yates and Briggs. They are both stood by the squad car so you can collect their boot prints.”

“cheer’s Jim, we will get what we can done before the coroner get’s here.”

Jim nodded and walked off as the three of us divided the area up between us. I was attending to the Jane doe whereas ‘Rick had the John doe and Greg had taken it upon himself to cover the perimeter. I walked over avoiding any prints before standing over the body photographing the surrounding area to. Once i had done this i knelt down and took in the obvious injuries photographing them at different close angles but not moving the body.

The Jane Doe’s blonde hair was blood covered from the pool that surrounded her head. Her chest showed three visible stab wounds and the pale green camisole she had been wearing was torn a dirt and blood covered. There was a hair darker than the victims on the body and so i collected it to take back to the lab before swabbing the blood around her and fingernail scrapings. The victims jeans were torn and frayed at the knees and also dirt covered appearing that she was kneeling before lying on the floor.

As the coroner arrived as was soon covering the bodies and placing them in the van Greg walked over. He informed me he had found what could of possibly been drag marks of some sort in the dust and as some torn fabric on a nearby fencepost. An hour or two later and we had combed the scene getting all the evidence we were going to find. The person who had found the victims was stood talking to Brass as we walked over. Brass introduced us as he finished asking his questions before we two had a couple questions of our own. After that though we headed back to the lab in order to star processing the evidence we had collected.

I had soon dropped of my evidence to the various tech’s before receiving a page to join doc Robbins in the morgue. The other two had let me stand in on this autopsy alone instead concentrating on some more evidence and i was soon stood in a gown watching as the doc stated the John doe’s autopsy.