A Wish Upon a Lucky Star

XV

Nick’s POV

Steph had managed to get an extra hour of sleep whilst I sat beside her. Ava and Elliot had slept throughout the hour peacefully but Steph was awake again before long. Ava must of sensed that her mum was awake because all of ten minutes later she started to cry. I picked her up gently before passing her to Steph where she settled again and after a while of staring up at us with big blue eyes she settled off to sleep again. Elliot had also woken up now but wasn’t crying. Before he started and woke his sister up I picked him up cradling him in my arms as I sat on the edge of the bed. It was at this point that Lottie, Greg and Brandon arrived to visit.

Once Brandon had met his niece and nephew I got him to sit down in the armchair beside the bed. Elliot was still awake clearly fascinated by the new faces he saw. I used a couple of spare pillows Steph had and placed them either side of Brandon so that he could hold his nephew with my help. Once he was comfortable Lottie handed me Elliot, who she had been cooing at for the past five minutes. I placed Elliot down on Brandon lap supporting his hand as Brandon used his arm to help keep Elliot there. I watched at Elliot reached out to Brandon’s spare hand and took a grip on his fingers.

“I think he knows who his favorite uncle is already bud.”

“He’s not a noisy baby like my mummy’s friends baby.”

“Not at the minute, I’m sure he will be when he is hungry. He keeps watching you though, he seems to like you lots.”

“Good cause I love him lots already.”

I smiled at Brandon before picking up Elliot and passing him to his mum. I then picked Brandon up palcing him on the edge of Steph’s bed where he sat crossed legged, having already kicked off his trainers.

“Can I see Ava?”

“If Greg will give her back you can, I think he’s showing his girly side at the moment.”

“I can hear you Nick. This little lady clearly takes after mum she’s good looking unlike you.”

I shook my head at Greg as he bought Ava over and stood beside Brandon letting him see her. Brandon gently kissed her forehead before Greg passed her to me.

“We are going to go get a cup of tea and Brandon some juice, as the rest of the team are lined up outside wanting t see this cutie’s.”

I nodded to Lottie and both and Steph informed them we would see them later. She wasn’t wrong either once they had exited the rest of the team filed into the room as a group to see the new arrivals. After the team had been and gone and Lottie and Greg had headed home after visiting once more I could tell Steph was exhausted. The twins had settled off to sleep again and I let Steph rest whilst I sat reading through the paper resting up a little. From now on I was prepared for a few weeks of sleepless nights at home before I would be heading back to work on a suited hours scheme Grissom had already set up.