A Wish Upon a Lucky Star

XVI

Nick’s POV

It had been two years now since the twins had been born. They were growing quick and definitely keeping me and Steph on our toes. We had a babysitter to cover hours where we were both required on cases and Catherine’s Lindsey helped when she could. Now that the twins were fairly well grown however I decided that I wanted to make our family official.

I decided I would enlist the help of our work colleagues in the process as well and so set about my plan. I had already gotten all the stuff hidden away in Catherine’s office. I was meant to be off shift tonight and so Catherine had become my eyes and ears at work to give me the go ahead. I had the twins dressed and ready to get into the car quickly once Steph had left to attend a scene and Grissom had agreed to give her the biggest case to allow me more time.

Once I got the call informing me Steph had left for the other side of the city I got the twins into the car and quickly headed into work. Wendy and Mandy were free and since they hadn’t seen the twins in a couple of months wanted to keep them occupied with some old fingerprint powder to make messy pictures. I however headed straight for Catherine’s office. With the help of Catherine who was the only one not on a case at the moment we started to decorate the break room. Lottie making her way into work with Brandon since Greg was on shift tonight.

I started by moving the tables out and into a storage closet and placing the chairs around the edge. I placed Steph’s favourite mug from home on the counter ready for fresh coffee as she returned with Grissom from her scene. I placed a single chair in the centre of the room and around created a circle of rose petals which I then lead to the coffee machine and from there to the door. I also hung up the small banner that the twins had helped me make by using their hands coated in paint to spell out the words will you marry me? Once the banner was hung I lit three candles along the work surface before heading off to the lockers to get myself in a suit. I then got the twins dressed, Elliot in a shirt and tie and some dark jeans and Ava into a red dress with white ribbon around the middle.

It was just as I had gotten the kids ready that Catherine received the call informing us that Gil and Steph were 20 minutes away. Just in time the rest of the team returned from their scenes and after dropping off evidence, which day shift techs were starting, I made sure that everyone was seated in the room and that the break room door was shut and in darkness. The twins were both stood beside me ready to step into the circle of roses and in ten minutes time I would make sure coffee as in her mug ready to go.

I heard the distinct sound of Grissom voice up the corridor and took a deep breath as we all got into position. The twins were as good as ever as they stood silently either side of me as I knelt down on one knee with the ring box in my hands. The footsteps got nearer to the door before Grissom allowed to Steph to step forward and open the door. As the door opened a small beam of light traced the floor and instead of turning the light on Steph walked in and followed the rose petals, Grissom holding the door open to keep the beam focused. Steph spotted the chair and turned to look at Grissom before sitting on the chair. As she did Greg flicked the light on. I heard Steph gasp as she took in the room and I watched as she looked up reading the banner above me.

“So will you marry me?”

“I…….of course I will.”

I smiled as I rose to my feet taking Steph’s hand in mine and placing the engagement ring on her finger as the whole room applauded. I then pulled her into my arms kissing her lips before we stood back each picking up one of the twins. Steph was finally going to be a Stokes and I had a family that I loved dearly and also an extended family that loved us all.