A Wish Upon a Lucky Star

VI

Nick’s POV

Hearing Brandon’s young panicked voice down the end of the phone sent me into a state of panic. Was he hurt or lost back at the labs. It made me forget about the minor injuries i had gained from the shootout and soon i was speeding away from the scene and back towards the lab. I shouldn’t really use the siren’s but this could be serious and traffic was starting to really wind me up and so i hit them quickly and flew down the roads before speedily pulling up in the lab’s parking lot.

I ran into the building alarming a couple of officer’s as i headed up to the first floor. My first stop was Grissom’s office. As i stepped inside i was grateful to see that Brandon was unharmed but was upset and sat in Wendy’s lap. Once i stepped into the room he jumped off running to my legs where i pulled him to my chest hugging.

“What’s up, what caused him to phone me why didn’t steph have him?”

“She was in here with him and she was working away. I passed a couple times since you had been at the scene and they were both fine. Then the next thing i heard was Brandon yelling my name. As i ran in he was in tears beside steph.”

“Where is steph now.”

“With the paramedic”

“What, why. What happened. Is she ok?”

“I’m not sure Nick. She fell ill in here that’s what panicked Brandon it was so sudden. He phoned you as it was the last number steph had phoned.”

“Oh Brandon. Your such a brave boy. Well done for what you did.”

I placed my hand on his back as he continued to hiccup after the tears, his head still buried in my shoulder.

“i will take him from here Wendy. Thank you.”

Wendy nodded stepping out of the office. I headed to the break room first getting Brandon a bottle of juice out of the fridge. As i emerged from the room the rest of the team entered the labs. Lottie and Greg headed straight over to where i was stood looking a tad panicked.

“What’s happened. Are you ok Brandon?”

“Steph fell ill, he phoned the last number dialled in Steph’s phone in a panic. She’s with a paramedic, are you ok taking him whilst i see how she is?”

Lottie took Brandon from my arms hugging him and comforting him whilst Greg headed to find some sweet’s from his secret stash to cheer Brandon after what was no doubt a shock for him. I left the group and headed down to first aid where i presumed Steph had been taken. As i reached the door i noticed it was pushed to slightly but i could hear voices inside.

I gently pushed the door open a little to reveal steph sat against the wall a bin beside her and a bottle of water in her hand. I stepped in the paramedic saying nothing as i stepped closer to steph.

“wh....where’s bra........”

Steph’s sentenced was stopped buy her burying her head back into the bin as her stomach contents was removed unwillingly.

“hey it’s ok, he’s with Lottie and Greg now. Wendy explained sort of what happened. Your the priority at the moment.”

I placed a hand on Steph’s shoulder sitting beside her as the paramedic informed me that she had collapsed due to dehydration and exhaustion. The sickness could just be a bug that had been caught and informed me she should be at home and getting rest. If the sickness persisted for another 24 hours then the hospital was the first port of call.

I accepted what the paramedic said and thanked him as he handed me a couple of the cardboard sick dishes in preparation for taking steph home. Once he had left Grissom appeared in the room and looked worried to see someone on his team so ill.

“Nick you take steph home and make sure she’s better tonight. The rest of us will continue with the case and Lottie will keep Brandon here and he wills top there until Steph is better so that he doesn’t catch anything. I hope your feeling better soon steph.”

I helped steph up to her feet handing her the sick bowls as i placed an arm around her waist pretty much holding her up. Greg handed us our belongings from the locker’s in the corridor thankfully and i got steph home as soon as i could. Once we were back in the apartment Steph lay on the sofa whilst i got her another bottle of water and a blanket. She lay outstretched on the sofa as i placed the blanket over her before i got changed out of my work clothes and settled down to take care of her.

As she lay there for the rest of the night i noticed her hand rested on her stomach a lot. I had a feeling her stomach was aching from the sickness and just tried to help her feel better again.

After 24 hours Steph seemed to be getting worse rather than better and i soon had her on the way to the hospital having been given permission by Grissom to take time off work, even if it did mean paying it back once everything was cleared. Steph was quickly taken off for tests leaving me stood in the relatives room.

As i sat there my mind ran on full steam. Ho could she of gotten so sick and yet i was healthy and fine. Why did she always end up getting hurt. I had completely forgotten about the cuts and abrasions to my face until a young couple also entered the room looking panicked. They seemed alarmed to see my scab covered face and still partially swollen lip and asked if i was ok.

I explained to them my job and that it was just an altercation after showing them ID and they seemed to stop worrying. Instead they asked why i was waiting in here, i explained to them my girlfriend had been taken ill whilst they informed me that the girls sister had just been bought in to give birth and they were waiting for news.

They asked if i had children and i informed that children wasn’t something i wanted to consider yet after what i saw daily in my line of work and my working hours. I know i had spoken to steph once or twice but after the incident a few days back and several other incidents it would break my heart to the know it was so easy for a child of ours could lose a parent. I had seen it happen to officers and their families and each time it broke my heart.