A Wish Upon a Lucky Star

VIII

Steph’s POV

It didn’t take long for the ultrasound and i was soon wheeled out of the room and sat in the waiting area as the nurse informed me she was going to speak to another nurse. I was worrying now and not only that, there was how nick had reacted earlier playing on my mind. I couldn’t deal with this on my own and i had no idea where Nick had gone. I was grateful as the nurse stepped out the room again but her expression gave nothing away.

“Let’s get you comfortable again in a cubicle. Would you like me to go and find your partner?”

“could you phone my sister for me first? I can give you her number?”

The nurse complied and i gave her Lottie’s mobile number before she took me back to the cubicles. Once i was settled down again and somewhat comfortable the nurse left closing the curtain as she went. I let my head rest against the pillows, my mind running circles constantly. I just hoped Greg would be happy to have Brandon whilst Lottie could head up here, unless she was working. She knew i hated hospitals though and i was certain once she knew Nick had vanished in a strange manner she would be there. She had always been there for me like i had for her and i just hoped that this time was the same as all the others. I was finally grateful when the nurse returned.

“Your sister is on her way, I couldn’t find your partner though”

“Thank you.”

“I also have your scan results here”

The nurse produced a white piece of cardboard and handed it me. I slowly opened it somewhat dreading the worst. As i did it revealed the image of what i knew was the start of twins. I just stared at the image for a moment before looking up to the nurse.

“are you sure this is the right one?”

“yes, your eight weeks pregnant with twins.”

“But I’m still bleeding”

“It was just the egg’s planting onto the wall and some of it breaking away at that point. You will be as a normal pregnant woman now.”

“But what about the sickness and tiredness?”

“Your working to much with little rest and your dehydrated, that’s what is causing the sickness as well as it been a little bit of morning sickness”

I just nodded looking back down at the scan image in my hands. In a way i was happy to be able to start a family but then there was the fact i had work to juggle and the fact that i didn’t even know how Nick would take this news. He wasn’t here to know and he had seemingly disappeared off hospital grounds altogether. Without realising there were tears running down my cheeks and i felt cool skin against my arm. I opened my eyes to see the nurse stood right beside me now trying to comfort me as i tried to wipe away the tears. I pulled myself together just as the curtain gently pulled back to reveal Lottie looking concerned.

“How you feeling. Do you know what’s wrong.”

I nodded my head as Lottie stepped in and just outstretched my hand handing her the closed scan. She took it form me and stood beside me as she opened it. I waited for her response and had to glance up as silence over took the cubicle. As i looked up i was shocked to see her grinning at me before she hugged me.

“congratulations, twins. This is great news.”

Lottie stood back then and stopped smiling.

“hang on where’s Nick?”

“Before i went for the scan i mentioned i was been taken for an ultrasound and he went pale mumbled something incoherent and disappeared. The nurse hasn’t been able to find him and i think he’s left the hospital completely.”

“What. There was no idea why he reacted like that. Normally he won’t leave your side.”

“No idea why he went. What if he’s just had enough of all the bad luck i seem to have.”

“no, he won’t of. I know that much. I will go phone him he will think there is something at work if i call him form my cell. I shall be back as soon as i can. Don’t panic, i will find him.”

Lottie hugged me and disappeared again the nurse this time having her pager go off and having to disappear informing me she would be back soon. I was grateful Lottie had reacted like she had at least someone was going to be glad about what was happening. I just hoped she was able to find nick.