Say You Like Me

Croatian Mouth

Two days at the Malfoy's and I couldn't shake the feeling that this wasn't my home. It truly wasn't. No matter how many times Nacrissa told me that this was as much as my home as it was her's.

I tiptoed around, only touched things I needed to, and stayed mostly in the room which was assigned to me. The same one I was thrown into the night of our coming out as a couple. I ate very little, mostly because my stomach couldn't hold too much, and made no eye contact with anyone but Nacrissa, mostly because she talked to me the most. With Lucius coming in second with his daily "How are you settling in?" question and then the house elf who made my bed every morning, then Draco, with zero acknowledgement of my existence.

So it completely surprised me when he finally spoke to me.

I was in the garden room in the back of the house. The walls were all windows, and the roof was made of light blue tinted glass. It was filled with flowers, magical and non magical, it was hot and humid in the room but enough to handle. This was a new room for me, I found it this morning and had come back twice already.

I was sitting on a grey wooden bench, reading a book on old charms, and drinking some of the iced tea the house elf had made. Sweet, with a minty aftertaste.

"Are you fine?" A deep voice startled me, making me drop my book. I quickly turned around to face the blond man, God, how much I wanted to call him a child.

"Uh. Hm." I stuttered quietly, still surprised by the fact that he'd even spoken to me. I don't even know why I was so surprised, I mean he had to speak to me sooner or later. We were getting married for God's sake, we would have to speak at least a little.

"I take that as a no." He said a bit harshly before bending down to pick up my book, but I beat him to the chase and quickly grabbed it.

"No, I'm fine thanks." I whispered, clutching my book tightly in my hand and staring at his eyes. They might as well be as empty as our relationship.

"You don't seem it." He narrowed his eyes and put his unoccupied hands into his pant pockets.

"Well who are you to judge? Mental case over here." I seriously had no clue as to why I said that. I wasn't one to go back and forth with stupid little banters, but the words slipped out and I couldn't take them back.

"Excuse me? I'm not the one who can't even control their own bloody legs!" He scoffed. His body language was awkward, as if his body couldn't match his words. His hands stuffed in pockets, forearms tensing, eyebrows scrunched together. He didn't want to argue. But I'd soon find out that with me, he always had to argue, and get in the last word as well.

"I'm-" I tried to apologize but Draco cut me off.

"No forget it, try to be nice to someone and they screw you." He mumbled and quickly made his exit, slamming the door shut behind him, disappearing from my sight but still completely on my mind. I silently cursed myself for my quick temper.