Sequel: You Left Me
Status: Check Out The Sequel!

Speak Now

The Heartbreak

I walked into my apartment after a long day of work. When I noticed my answering machine had three messages waiting to be answered, I groaned in annoyance. There are only four people who would leave me a message here; Mom, Larry, Ross, and lastly Kennedy.

Walking to press the button was enough torture. Say whatever you’d like but I already know I’m as lazy as a sloth right now. I pressed the play button and listened to my three messages.
“Hey honey! It’s just me calling to see how everything is going. We all miss you and we hope you come to visit soon. Bring Kennedy with you! Oh, bring that John boy to! I can’t wait to meet him! Love you sweetheart! Bye!”

I deleted the message rather too quickly but I seriously didn’t need it. Mom was all about the currents of my life. She only wants to know who I’m dating because I’m the only girl in my family history that hasn’t gotten married yet. All my cousins are married and even one of their children is married. So, she always wants to be the first to know. Kennedy is my best friend and basically she treats him like the son she’s never had. And every time he or myself bring up John; she automatically thought he was my boyfriend no matter how many times you tell her he isn’t. Not that I wouldn’t mind dating him- I mean I have loved the guy for months, but John being John is clueless. I rolled my eyes to the thoughts in my head and listened to the next message that was from Ross, John’s younger brother.
“Hey Cars, I was just seeing if you wanted me to come over tomorrow still? Its movie night, but John and Ken said you’ve been super busy. So give me a call or just text me. Okay, love you!”

I laughed at the brief message he had sent me. Ross is such a sweetheart and I’ve grown really close to him. When my mom and dad separated I moved with my dad to Arizona. I met Kennedy, who introduced me to the O’Callaghan’s. Ross was the first out of the brothers that talked to me. He became my best friend and brother as well as my personal John 101. He knew I liked him and told me the do’s and do not’s to win John’s heart. Of course it worked to become a close friend of his but anywhere near a loving relationship… kind of.

Anyway, Ross has been by my side through thick and thin since junior year- even though he was in seventh grade. But it never really mattered. He understood me when others didn’t and he was always there to talk to when I couldn’t get a hold of Kennedy.

I deleted Ross’s message and made sure I’d talk to him later. I pressed play to listen to my final message and it came out in a rush. I knew exactly why though. Kennedy was late for something.
“Hey Carson, I’m sorry I didn’t call you sooner but by the time you get this you’ll be home from work. I need you to come to the venue tonight. No exceptions. I’m at your apartment now so hurry up and get ready!”

“Boo!” a voice behind me yelled and I screamed frantically. I turned to see the devil himself.

“Fuck Kennedy! Don’t do that to me ever again!” I scolded him.

He laughed, “Sorry, I couldn’t help myself. Now go get pretty. You’re watching our show tonight and John has an announcement.”

“Announcement?”

“Yes, I’m not sure what about though. Maybe, he’s finally going to ask you out?” he wiggled his eyebrows. I rolled my eyes and walked away to my room to change. I stripped out of my office clothes and into some jeans and a blouse, adding cute heels and my pearl necklace.

“There is no way he’d ask me out. He’s never shown interest in me. So there for that’s not going to happen.”

“Shut up, Carson. He is seriously in love with you! Every time he feels insecure or something worries him he asks himself
-what would Carson say? Or what would Carson think of me?– Seriously, he loves you. He might not know it yet, but the signs are certainly there.”

“Please. I don’t believe it. Once you get it on film than maybe. Now, let’s go because you’re late.”


***


The boys played a wonderful show and now that it’s coming to an end, I’m on the edge of my seat waiting for John’s news. Finally, the wait was over and the crowd cheered as John came out looking nervous as ever.

He took the microphone and spoke, “Now, you’re all wondering what I’m doing up here just talking. Well, I’m going to tell you guys some news but first I want to tell you a story…” he paused to let the crowd cheer, “Alright, well first off there’s this girl,” oh god. “And she’s been on my mind a lot lately…” he paused again buy my best friend’s presence drew my attention away, “Kennedy, I’m scared!”

“Shut up! When this is over, you owe me an apology.” He gloated.

“Fine.” I said and listened to John finish talking, “She’s beautiful, creative, and smart. She has the cutest laugh and a smile that just melts the heart. I’ve known her for so long and I’m grateful to have her in my life… Can Taylor Elizabeth Montgomery come on stage, please?” he asked and my heart sank. My eyes started to sting as I watched my ex-friend walk onto the stage.

I couldn’t believe it, is this really happening? Before I could even ask anything John pulled out a small box from his pocket and got down on one knee. That’s when I broke. I didn’t even stay to hear him ask. I just left with Kennedy hot on my trail.

“Carson! Carson, wait! Cason, will you”-

“Will I what? Stop running away from a scene that I already know the words to? Or will I just stop walking away from something that made me feel like a fool?” I cut him off.

“You’re not a fool, Carson. I swear to you, none of us knew this was going to happen. We didn’t even know they were still going out. I just want you to wait and stay with us to get some answers.”

I shook my head, “No, I’m not going to put myself through this. I’ve loved him for so long and I need to learn to stop. I’m not going to watch him love her and not me.”

“But he loves you, Carson! Not her! I swear to you it’s the truth!” he shouted.

“Goodbye Kennedy.” I said, not wanting to stay any longer. I just wanted to get the hell out of there.

“Where are you going? I’m your ride.”

“I’m going home. It’s not far, I think I’ll live.”

“Let me drive you.” He pleaded.

“Kennedy, go get your stuff packed. I’ll bring her home.” Ross said coming out of no where. My best friend gave me a sad look and kissed my forehead before leaving me.

“Come on, Carson. Let’s get you home.” Ross comforted me. I silently thanked him and we left the venue. For the next few months I stayed in my apartment only going to work. I didn’t go out when people asked me, I never answered anyone’s calls unless it was from Kennedy or Ross. They were the only ones who came to visit to. Ross would come over and stay to comfort me and Kennedy would buy me food and check up on me. They would also occasionally spend the night, just to make sure I wouldn’t do anything stupid. Who do they think I am?

I never asked about John and they never brought him up. It was the only good thing about it. But the last week of suffering came to an end and I needed closure. I decided to go to the wedding to torture and save me. If John was happy, then I’m happy. If I’m hurting then I’ll hurt. But, I can’t let this control my well-being. I’m going to the wedding and I’m either taking John for myself or I’m leaving my heart on the floor.
♠ ♠ ♠
outfit!

I hope you guys like this.
It's just something I've been working on and this one is actually already finished.
But I'm only posting it every Sunday.
It's not really long, and I'm debating if i should do a sequel or prequel type stuff. Just to get things thought out straight. but only if you guys want?

Well, i appreciate the comments and subscriptions.
It makes me want to write more!
So comment, please!