Sequel: You Left Me
Status: Check Out The Sequel!

Speak Now

The Memory

“Please, Carson. Please.” John begged on the other line.

“Why do I have to go? Can’t you flash a smile and bring a random girl?” I asked.

“No, I can’t. They know absolutely nothing about me and aren’t as pretty as you.”

“Don’t let your compliments get the best of you. You should know by now that they don’t work on me.”
I’m such a liar.

Okay Carson… But will you please go with me?” he complained.

“Give me a few reasons why first.” I smirked even though he couldn’t see me.

John sighed, “Fine. One, because you’re the closest friend, that’s a girl, who knows a lot about me. Two, you’ll only know my mom, dad, and brothers. Three, my aunt thinks I’m a failure, and four, the only way to make my family see me differently, so they agree of my career choice, is if they think I can get a girl who is worth everything.”

“So, you’re using me?” I asked.

“No, I just need help. If they think you’re my girlfriend and they approve of you then they’ll approve of me and think I’m not a fuck up.”

“John…” I complained but he cut me off with more begging. “Please Cars; I’ll owe you big time for this one.”

I sighed in defeat, “Fine. I’ll go. When is your cousin’s wedding?”

“Uh…it’s tomorrow.” He said nervously.

“You have got to be kidding me John! Why did you not ask me last week?”

“Because you would’ve said no!” he whined and I giggled, “Its fine, you’re lucky I actually have a dress.”

“That’s mostly what you own.” He laughed and I rolled my eyes. “I’ll pick you up tomorrow at your place around four.”

“Okay, goodnight John.”

“Goodnight Carson and thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” I said and disconnected the call. I threw my phone on the couch near my bed and plopped down on my bed. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and tucked myself in bed.

If John keeps this up how will I ever catch up on sleep? I swear he’ll be the death of me.

***


I was finishing up my make-up when there was a knock on the door. I knew it would be John so I yelled, “Come in!”

I put on my heels and my necklace but then remembered my earrings I had left in the bathroom. I quickly stepped my way to get them and put them on as I walked to the living room.

“Carson, are you- whoa.” John stopped himself and stared at me stunned. I finished putting on my last earring and looked down. I looked up at John and asked, “What? Is there something wrong with the way I’m dressed?” I asked worriedly. He shook his head quickly and replied, “No. No, it’s just that you look… wow.”

I felt my cheeks heat up, but I hid them by turning to grab my clutch. “Thank you John.” I turned and smiled as he welcomed me.

He then held out his hand to me and I took it and we walked to his white pick up truck. We drove to the wedding and made it there just in time. We took our seats on the bride’s side, right in from of John’s parents and brothers. But before I sat down I said a hello and gave them each a hug and kiss on the cheek.

John and I sat down and engaged ourselves in a conversation, “How come they get a kiss on the cheek and I didn’t?” he teased.

“You invited me last night on short notice. There for, you don’t deserve one.”

“That was harsh Miss Jenson.” He teased.

“Miss Jenson happens to be my mother. I, on the other hand, am Carson.”

“You’re no fun.” John pouted in a puppy way.

“And you would make a terrible puppy.” I teased.

He smiled, “You know I never really told you this before, but”- he was cut off by the wedding march theme. We stood up and turned to watch his cousin walk down the aisle.

She looked gorgeous. Her brown hair was pinned up with loose, random curls. Her dress was a Tea-length strapless tulle gown with a floral sash. It fit her perfectly and was a great choice for the wedding. She had a bouquet of what looked to be five yellow roses and her veil only covered her face. It looked beautiful… and she glowed with happiness as she walked down to the groom.

Even though I’ve never met her before she was stunning. I sat through the ceremony and didn’t even want to blink. It was just beautiful! The vow’s made me cry. The two were madly in love and you could have known if you were miles away.

They said their ‘I do’s’ and shared their first kiss as husband and wife. Everyone stood up and clapped as well as throwing rice at the newlyweds as they ran down the aisle cheering.

John placed his hand on the small of my back and I looked up at him with a smile. He gave me one I return and kissed my cheek. Before pulling away completely he whispered, “Now time for the party.”

***


“Carson, I know you won’t try anything with my brother, but I can tell he’s falling for you.” Ross spoke to me once we were alone at the table.

I shook my head, “No he’s not. And even if he was he’d snap himself out of it because all he thinks of me as is Carson, his friend that’s a girl or the girl who’s best friends with his band mates and his brother… Face it Ross. He and I will never be.”

“Then why did he kiss your cheek?” he said slowly. I felt my cheeks heat up and asked quietly, “You saw that?”

“Yes, I did. So did Shane and my parents… Why do you think he invited you hear?”

“John asked me last minute because he wanted me to pretend like I was his girlfriend, but without telling people that I was or wasn’t. He wanted your family to think what they wanted. And if they all approved of me then they’d approve of him and the band, so it doesn’t look like he’s a complete failure.”

“He said that?” Ross laughed and I nodded curiously asking, “What’s so funny?”

“Carson, the only family member that doesn’t like his career path is our aunt, the bride’s mom… I doubt John cares what she thinks though. Plus, I was the one that told him to ask you here.”

“Why?” I questioned.

“Not my place to say but let me tell you something, just act as yourself and John and you will be together. Now, if you’ll excuse me I’m going to talk with my cousin’s hot friend.” He smirked and stalked over to the other side or the reception hall.

I shook my head laughing and looked around for John. I spotted him on the dance floor slouching down to dance with a little girl who I believe is his little cousin.

A smile spread across my face as I watched them closely. John was so good with her. When he gets married and has a child I’m sure he’d be a great father.

John kissed his cousins cheek and excused himself when another song came on. The dance floor cleared out and no one was dancing. The bride and groom were too busy chatting, and since their dance was over this song was for whomever. The slow song played throughout the hall but no one was dancing. What a shame. I would’ve loved to slow danced to Iris by Goo Goo Dolls.

“Carson?” John asked me. I looked up at him confused and he held his hand out with a smile, “Would you like to dance?” I smiled back at him and took his hand, letting him guide me to the dance floor. He spun my in a circle once and then wrapped one arm on my lower back and the other held my hand. I wrapped my free hand on his shoulder and laughed at his cheesiness, which caused him to smile and laugh to. At the moment we were the only ones dancing but soon more people decided to join us.

“You look really beautiful today, Carson.” John genuinely said. I felt myself blush but I didn’t care. It always happened when he complimented me. “Thank you.” I smiled, “You pull together well. You look very handsome.”

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. I also like your new haircut.” I said as I brushed my hand in his hair.

“You finally noticed?”

“No, I’ve noticed. I just haven’t had the chance to tell you.”

“Well, thank you then.”

“You’re welcome.” I smiled and then wrapped both arms around his neck and rested my head on his chest as he wrapped his other arm around my back. I was just getting comfortable but John called my name, “Yes?”

“Don’t take this the wrong way, but is there anything going on between you and Ross?”

I shook my head, “No, why?”

“You two are always together. So I just assumed.”

“Oh, well we’re not. He’s just my best friend. He’s been helping me out with a lot…” I paused and confidently added, “Plus, I kind of have my eye on someone and he’s been helping me get to know him.”

“Who’s the guy?”

It’s you.

“I’m not going to tell you. Only Ross knows and I just want him to know for now.” I lied. Technically his entire band knows but he nodded in approval and then the song ended. John grabbed my hand and as we sat down his aunt came over with a smile.

“John, you come to my daughters wedding and don’t even say hi to me?” she teased him.

“Sorry, Aunt Sarah, I didn’t mean to.”

“It’s alright dear, now care to introduce me with the lovely lady you’ve been hiding from us all?” she smiled over at me. I smiled back and stood up holding my hand out, “I’m Carson. It’s nice to meet you.”

“It’s nice to meet you too dear, I’m Sarah. So, how do you know John?”

I smiled, “I’ve known him since I moved here junior year of high school.”

“Oh really, so are you in college or do you help him with his silly dream of being a rock star?” she laughed, but I could tell it was both a joke and true.

“I actually do both. I go to the community college, study photography. And I help them with recording time to time. I don’t help them with the band as much because of school, but it’s a wonderful experience they’re going through. Have you ever been to one of their concerts?” I asked with a smile and I could see John beside me widen his eyes. He was about to say something, but his aunt beat him to it, “Actually I haven’t. I hope to soon though. I’ve never heard John perform.”

“He’s amazing.” I smiled, “You’d be amazed by his voice. And when he’s up there with his band it’s just worth watching them. They’re amazing, and they’re dedicated to what they do. I’m really proud of them.” I honestly said.

She smiled, “I can’t wait to see them now.” She turned to John, “I like her John, and she’s surely a keeper.”

He laughed, “She’s my rock and one of my best friends. Plus, if I weren’t her friend, then the guys would hate me.”

“You two are only friends?” she asked confused and we both nodded. “Well, if you two ever dated, you’d probably make it to where we are standing now. You two already look like a couple as it is. I would’ve never guessed if you didn’t tell me.”

After she left, John and I were a little awkward with each other. Not because she said we looked like a couple, but because she said that if we did ever date we’d end up getting married. I wasn’t really looking to marry John, I just wanted to date him, and then I guess if things turned out alright, then I guess marriage. We’re too young to think about that, I mean, I’m only in my second year of college and he’s almost about to sell his second EP. Marriage is out of the question for both our minds.

After a while the reception party started to die down and everyone was leaving. John looked over at me and said, “Do you want to head home?” Before I could answer I yawned and John chuckled, “I guess that gives me my answer. Let me go tell my parents, okay?” I nodded my head and waited for John. In a flash he came back and took my hand. I grabbed my heels that I had taken off earlier and we walked over to the bride and groom.

“Congratulations Claire. Thank you for inviting me, and Tyler you better take good care of my cousin.” John smiled at the newlyweds.

They both laughed and Claire said, “You’re welcome John, and thank you for coming. By the way, who is this lovely date of yours?”

I smiled but was too tired to speak so John said, “This is Carson. I was just about to bring her home.”

“Oh well, I wish I could’ve talked to you. You seem like a sweet girl, and I hope you make my little cousin happy.”

I laughed, “I hope so too.”

“You do, don’t worry.” John smiled down at me.

“Wow, you two look really cute together.” Claire said.

“We’re just friends.” John and I said in unison. This caused both the bride and groom to laugh. “Well, we’ll see about that. Thank you for coming you two and yes, John I’ll take good care of my wife.” Tyler said as he looked at Claire with his last words. They sweetly kissed each other and then we bid each other our goodbyes. John drove me home and walked me to my apartment door. I invited him in for a cup of coffee and he nodded his head. We went into my kitchen where I started brewing a cup of coffee.

“Thank you for inviting me, John. I had a really great time.” I smiled.

“You’re welcome. And I’m sorry I invited you last minute.”

“No, its fine, I’m just glad you asked.” We smiled at each other and then the coffee was done. I poured both of us each a cup and then we sat down at the kitchen table where we added our cream and sugar. I thought about the day but then remembered something. John was going to say something to me before the wedding march interrupted him. What was he going to say?

“What are you thinking about?” John asked.

“Huh?” I said, not understanding what he just said.

“What are you thinking about?” John said slower.

“Oh, um, before the wedding march came on you were saying something?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, what were you going to say?”

“Oh, um… it doesn’t matter.”

“John, just tell me. Please.” I puppy faced him.

“You would make a terrible puppy.” He laughed.

“That’s makes the both of us. Now tell me, please.” I said, really wanting to know what he was going to say. I hate it when people keep things from me.

“Well at least you said please… I’ve never told you this before, but I’m really glad you walked into my life. Without you I wouldn’t be who I am today. You’re the reason why I want to go up and sing in front of people, you helped me conquer my fear of stage fright after my first concert disaster, and you inspired all five of us to continue on with our dreams. Look where we’re at today, we’ve already been across the states and met people we thought we’d never get to meet. I just wanted to thank you for everything.”

I smiled, “Thank you John that really means a lot to me.”

“You’re welcome. And you mean a lot to me- I mean- all of us.” He caught himself. I smirked and stood up grabbing mine and his empty coffee cups. He was still sitting when I turned around but he was staring right at me. I smiled sweetly and leaned down to kiss his cheek. “Goodnight John.”

“Goodnight Carson.” He smiled and then stood up and left my apartment. I locked the door behind him and went to my room and changed to go to bed.

If he didn’t change his sentence at the end, what would I have done? What would he have done? Maybe things would be different between us after that? Maybe he would be mine and maybe Ross, his aunt, and cousin would be right? What if John and I became a couple? If only he didn’t change what he had to say?
♠ ♠ ♠
outfit!

there's one more chapter left guys! please comment and subscribe!!
i'll post the sequel on the next chapter so you guys can subscribe (:
i want to thank each and everyone of you for the wonderful support<3
if you want to see something in the sequel tell me and maybe i'll put it in because i have no clue how to do it!!
Thank you! And Please subscribe!!