Sticks and Stones and Rising Voices

sixteen

A small blue crab burrowed under the checkered blanket where they lounged, pushing sand onto the fabric as it dug. Ione and Ewan lay quietly, listening to the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks. More of the same blue crabs scuttled about the tide pools and stones, living the lives of marine creatures. She started to hum. This ocean was different from her sea. It didn't take, it only gave.

"I want to go swimming." she said.

"Go." he said.

"This was unplanned. I don't have a suit." she said.

"Go without." he said.

Ione propped herself on her elbows and looked to his pale body covered in jeans and boxers and a button down with the sleeves rolled up.

"Come with me?" she asked.

He squinted his eyes in the sunlight and laughed.

"Afraid of a little cold water?" she teased.

She turned to her side and kissed him, skimming her tongue along his bottom lip. Her free hand flattened under the waist of his jeans and fondled him. He bit her lip when she squeezed slightly.

"Is that a dare?" he gasped.

She rolled to her feet and pulled the knit dress over her head, tossing it onto his stomach before leaving him with the sight of her swaying backside. Ewan glanced around the beach. No one else had come this far down. His smile widened when Ione discarded her bra. She turned to face him at the edge of the water. There was a pressure racking his zipper. She faced the ocean and slowly revealed the last of her skin. He was there, wrenching the jeans over his feet, dropping his boxers, and tearing two buttons to rid himself of the shirt. He loved her this way. Risky and frisky.

The water shocked their senses.

"We should head back, or call." she said.

He wrung the water from his hair.

"One more day." he said.

It seemed as if they bobbed in the water for hours, soaking in the sun and holding hands. There were no clouds in the sky. No birds. No boats. No people. Just Ione and Ewan. Ione and Ewan. Ione. And. Ewan.