Sticks and Stones and Rising Voices

nineteen

He was tall.

That was the first trait she noticed. Like a skyscraper. A smooth scar chipped his chin and he was dressed in dark wash jeans and a polo shirt. The collar had turned up at the corners either from age or lack of maintenance. He smiled and waved when Ewan guided her into the bar. It was midday and Ewan insisted it was never too early for booze. Ione didn't see anyone else in the booths or the tables or on the bar stools.

"This must be the girl I've heard so much about." the man smiled. He held a hand across the bar and she shook it. His grip was stronger than she anticipated. Ewan placed a hand at her lower back. She smiled.

"Ione, this is Noah." he hugged her to his side. "And he's agreed to be our chef for this fine afternoon."

"I suppose barflies need to eat, too." she ventured.

Noah laughed, "I like this one, Ewan."

They were seated at a table near the large window, overlooking the water below. Ione asked about Ewan's brother and Ewan asked about her job. They ordered cheese burgers with all the makings, shared a basket of fries, and laughed until they cried. There were no interruptions. Not until Ewan's cell phone rang and he groaned.

"I need to take this, Ione." he looked up from the screen.
"It'll just take a minute."

She excused him and sipped from her glass of tea. She could see him from her seat at the window. He paced under the covered patio, raising his arms to emphasize his words.

"He does that a lot."

Ione turned to see Noah refilling her glass. "I'm sorry?"

"The flailing." he pointed to his chin. "Hit me with a bottle once when he was talking to his mother."

"How did you two meet?" she asked.

"School. I came here from Cordova at the last minute and I was stuck with him as a roommate." he answered.

Ewan sat in one of the chairs outside, pinching between his eyes. He was leaning forward with his head hung as he spoke.

"How long have you been together?" Noah asked.

"Just a couple of weeks. He took me to a drag race on our first date." she laughed. "Have a seat. You probably know he won't be back for another twenty minutes. I really don't want to eat alone."

Noah hesitated and she went on, "There's nothing worse."

He complied, set the pitcher on the table, and took Ewan's seat. He filled the chair out more than Ewan ever could have. Ewan was tall, but lanky. Noah was solid. She snacked on a french fry.

"So, is this place yours, or are you just the cook?" she asked.

"Manager, part-time cook, full-time bartender." he said.

"Do you have any other hobbies, or is this your life mission? Making food for college buddies and their dates." she wondered.

He grinned. "I collect wines on my off days."

Ione's eyebrows raised mid-chew. "I did not expect that."

A gust of cool, salty air ran through the room and ruffled their hair when Ewan let himself back inside. The skies had darkened and the water had become choppy.

"Think it's about to rain." he said. "Something's come up and I need to get to my parents' place. Is it okay if I drop you off at home?"

Ione nodded and lifted her purse from the floor and her sweater from the back of her chair. Ewan took her hand as they headed for the front door, and Noah followed to lock up. Ewan turned and shook hands with him.

"Sorry to run out on you, man. Thanks for doing this." he said.

"It was nice meeting you, Noah." Ione waved and followed Ewan to the car. She took Ewan's arm when he offered. Large drops of water had just started to fall as they stepped from under the patio cover.

"How do you feel about weddings?" he asked.