Sticks and Stones and Rising Voices

nine

They held hands in the dark theater as people and cars exploded on the screen. Her thumb ran circles on the back of his hand. His head had tilted onto her shoulder and his eyes had closed early on. He had missed almost the entire movie. During another explosion Ione glance around the room spotting several couples lip locked.

She woke him up long enough to get him to the car. She slid into the driver's seat and started away. The streetlights along the sides of the road periodically illuminated their faces as she drove toward home. She thought he slept too much, but she wouldn't argue. The dark circles had returned to settle beneath his eyes.

When they were home she put him to bed. She watched him for a few minutes from the end of the room, watching his heavy breathing. She left the room, closing the door behind her. She grabbed her purse from the kitchen table and searched for her cell phone in the dark.

A picture of she and Ewan shone back at her.

Ione slipped her shoes from her feet, pulled her tights from under her skirt, and walked barefoot to the fridge. A chilled bottle of champagne glistened, topped with a white bow and a tag reading To the love of my life. I know you love this shit.

She tipped the door shut and dialed a number from memory. She had to be careful with him. The other end rang twice before running headlong to voice mail.

"Call me if you have time." she spoke into the receiver.

Ione scraped her nails across her scalp before tossing the phone back into her purse. The pack of Spirits beckoned her. She caressed the top flap and pressed them to her nose, taking in the scent. Remembering the last time she had let herself smoke one. Praying she would get one more chance that night.