Status: Still Going Strong.

The Hills That Cradle Us

Could We Catch Up?

The next time I noticed it, was a week later. Everyone was on spring break, but I was working over time. A much needed vacation was skipped over to earn a little extra cash, but Jess would never let me go a complete week off of school without relaxing. In other words she would stress me out to the very last nerve and then when we finally made it to what ever crazy location she had planned I was too tired to enjoy myself. The morning started out like any one of those other days when Jess burst into my bedroom singing, "Wake up sleepy head!" I was already ride awake, but of course I played along and pretended to fall back asleep on my bed.

She tore open the shades and lifted the blankets off of my bed taunting me with handful of breakfast goodies. Eventually I rose to my feet and grabbed a banana from her hand. We made our way back down the stairs and she told me everything that was planned for the day. As I made my way down the stairs I knocked a few papers off of the desk in the hall. The last paper was a letter, still in its envelope and hardly touched. I rolled it over in my hands a little and gently pried open the back. When I pulled it out the usual bill was replaced by a bright stationary. There were random circles and hearts around the paper's edges and corners and the lettering had been hand written in a bubbly print. It was short and sweet, but here is what it read:

"Dear Lexi,
I totes need to catch up with my friends again, lately everything has been blurring
together and my past has been catching up with me. If you ever feel like catching
up or anything just give me a call. I would love to hear from you, Emily"

At the very bottom of the page a business card had been paper clipped to the letter. The Rising Star studios logo was printed on it and it reminded me of how successful she had been with her career. When we were younger she had always dreamed about helping other people, and when I watched her shows she even helped me a little.

Wow, that was a long time ago. Always giving us advice and asking about our lives when we knew little about her. Personally, I was given the chance to get to know her in the 9th grade when we were given identical schedules. That year was a blast. Every few classes were with other friends too, but Emily and I were together the most that year. I wonder how Fiona ever turned out, she had wanted to sing and get a career in acting but aside from a few small roles I hadn't seen much of her lately. Fiona was my best friend since kindergarten and I considered maybe calling Emily so we could all get together some time. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, maybe I might actually enjoy it. I tossed the envelope on my desk and stuck the business card on the fridge with a magnet. As for the letter, I stuffed it into my purse and decided maybe later that night I would actually pick up the phone.