Status: in progress

Breaking Free

Chapter 2

Chapter two

Sara’s POV
I always loved my job. I never thought I’d be one of the few people who actually looked forward to a day at work.
Being a radio host is a job where you get to work with amazing people, you can be yourself all the time and you don’t have to wear serious clothes as the people in the offices do.
I arrived at Radio 1 a few minutes late but it didn’t matter, my show started at noon so I had plenty of time to finish my preparations for the interview with One Direction. I went through my notes again. The biggest boy band, screaming fans everywhere, two books, two albums, another album in pre-production, be sure to ask about tensions between band members, personal life, blah, blah, blah.
I was looking forward to meeting them. I was 17 when they were on X Factor and when I watched them perform each week, I told to myself: I’ll be interviewing them one day. It was all for fun of course, I never actually thought this day would come but it did. I wasn’t one of all those screaming girls chasing them around. I just liked their music and the way they looked at the world.
As the time for my show was approaching, I was getting more and more nervous. I just hoped I won’t mess up the important things, mix up their names or something like that.
They arrived at the studio at half past eleven. I always thought they’re late to everything, so I was a bit surprised. I could hear their laugh all the way from the elevator. I took a few deep breaths and went to greet them. ‘’Hello guys, my name is Sara. Welcome to Radio 1! Can I get you a tea or maybe a coffee?’’
‘’Radio 1 is like a second home to us so don’t worry about anything, we can do it ourselves.’’ Louis said. I gave him a thankful and nervous smile and invited them to a small kitchen where I always make myself a morning coffee. They really did feel like home, because as soon as they came in, they started to make coffee, tea, Harry even made himself a smoothie. I was impressed. They were such a nice group of people. They were so down to Earth, it felt like I was talking to my friends and not to one of the biggest boy bands ever.
The show was about to start. They all put on their headphones, I prepared some intro music and waited for 12:00.
Everything went by smoothly. No mistakes, the boys were having fun and I had a feeling I got some really honest answers about their personal lives. It felt good having them in the studio. A small part of me even hopes I’ll be able to see them again.
I waved them goodbye and went back to the office to prepare for my next show but I wasn’t able to concentrate. My mind kept racing back to every word they said, what could I ask them differently.
There was a loud knock on the door and I knew my boss was at the door. ‘’Come in.’’ I said.
David seemed in a really good mood so I really did a great job with One Direction. ‘’I’m proud of you Sara. You’re only 24 years old and you’re already so good. I’m looking forward to seeing big things you’ll do in the future.’’ I smiled, thanked and went back to my business. David came back after a few minutes. ‘’Did you forget your phone in the studio?’’
‘’Not that I’m aware of. Why?’’
‘’Well I found one in there. If it’s not yours then it must be the boys. I’ll just leave it here with you, maybe someone will call.’’
I put it on the side and forgot about it for the whole afternoon. But just when I was getting ready to go home, the phone rang. I saw a funny face on the screen and the name Zayn. So it really was someone’s from One Direction.
I picked up.
‘’Hello?’’
‘’Erm, hi. Sara is this you?’’
‘’Yes. How can I help you?’’
‘’It’s Louis. Looks like I forgot my phone at the radio. Can I come pick it up?’’
‘’I was actually just getting ready to leave for today. I can leave it here with someone and you can come, or I can simply drop by your house. You’re staying in London right?’’
‘’Oh even better. I’ll just text the address to my phone. See you.’’
And he hung up. I didn’t even know why I said I’d drop by their house. A small part of me was telling me I shouldn’t be getting involved, the other part wanted to see them all again, especially Louis.