Secrets of the Spell Bound

Follow That Man!

After listening to Ren sob over her jerk of a boyfriend all night, I knew I had to do something. I had to cheer her up. It was my job to cheer her up. If needed I would go kick the guys ass, but in this case bringing her into town was probably safer.

The streets were scattered with people going from shop to shop and a few couples laughed at the local ice cream parlor. Ren and I had just passed by the old book store when I caught sight of The-Douchebag-That-Broke-My-Baby-Sister’s-Heart, also known as Nathan. A quick turn brought us into the bookstore where the creepy old man sat at the desk waiting for costumers.

“Hello,” he greeted, as I ushered Ren past the first row of book cases into the back section where it would be impossible to see Nathan.

“What are you doing?” She questioned as I peeked around the tall book case only come face to chest with the hot guy from the day before.

“Whoa.” The word passed through his lips like a whisper, but sounded like a scream to me.

“Hi,” I squeaked, forgetting about Ren’s question as I took a step back.

“Excuse me,” he whispered as he passed by to another book case down the same row that Ren and I stood in.

My face flushed a bright red, I was such an idiot. A guy like that would never notice me. Shaking my head, I turned to the books and stared at titles without ever reading one word.

“What was that?” Ren asked, her voice penetrating my thoughts.

“Nothing,” I replied quietly, my eyes peeking over her to the man at the end of the row.

“Really?” Disbelief was thick in her voice, but I didn’t know how to answer her. Was she talking about me pulling her into the store? Or the man that scanned titles just feet away? “Adair, who was that guy?”

“I don’t know,” I told her, in all honesty I didn’t know who he was, he’d never introduced himself. Still, he had to know something about the book. “He used to own the book, so maybe we should find out.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Oh, come on Ren, it’ll be like an adventure. Let’s follow him,” I begged. I knew she couldn’t say ‘no’, and after her normal hesitation, she caved.

“Fine, but if this gets bad, I blame you,” she stated, and she would. I didn’t doubt for a minute that I would be blamed if we got in trouble or the guy found us out. Still, I had to know what he knew about that book. I had to know who he was.