Fear

Business

Even the most advanced and knowledgeable of Gods make mistakes. There is no perfect race or else I would not have to do the jobs that I am assigned to do. Since I am still growing more mentally scarred daily I can assume safely that mistakes are still being made.

The point of this random observation has to do with my assignment in Gotham. For I made something that humans like to call a "rookie mistake". What a "rookie mistake" has to do with this is, well, pretty much everything. I am only at the young age of 208 and though even no one expects old heads on young shoulders I made a mistake that even the most veteran of officers warn their apprentices about. I tumbled headfirst into something that would later cause more trouble than it was worth. I made a "rookie mistake".


-From the journal of the Detective.

Two police officers held the Detective down on his knees. The Detective bucked and tried to get free, hoping the torrential downpour of rain would make him slick enough to get out of their grasp. They held him tight with an iron grip.

Another police officer walked over and pulled his pistol out. He leveled it even with the Detective's unprotected temple. The Detective looked up, his green eyes piercing the black coals of the corrupted police officer.

"It ain't personal buddy. But we got orders to kill all supers. And between buying a new house or your life, I'm gonna choose the house. Once again nuthin personal." The police officer told him without a shred of emotion in his voice.

Time slowed to a crawl for the Detective. Every raindrop took a minute to fall to the ground and a minute to spread out onto the pavement. He blinked once more and swallowed down his fear before closing his eyes for the end.

He heard the click of the safety, Rorschach's screams and attempts to get free, the sound of a raindrop hitting the pavement, the sound of a baby shrieking as its mother tried to cover its eyes. The last sounds of chaos drummed in his ears as he accepted that his fate had led him to die here.

Finally the cop pulled the trigger, the gun shot deafening amongst the requiem of noise. The Detective waited for the bullet to breach his skull. When the bullet never came he opened his eyes. There was a green knight's shield in front of him.

The Detective's eyes looked up to see a man wearing a green jump suit pulsing with energy. He was floating in the air, a green force field around him. A streak of energy showed the shield was coming from him and ended in front of the Detective and Rorschach preventing the gunshots from harming them.

"In brightest day," the man said thunderously.

"Its the Green Lantern! Run!" the cops yelled.

"In blackest night," the person they called the Green Lantern continued.

The Lantern dropped the shield in front of them and four walls sprung up around the cops. Preventing their escape.

"No evil shall escape my sight."

The cops were thrown back when the walls hit them and caused them to collapse in a pile in the middle of the scene.

"Let those who worship evil's might..."

A cage appeared over the fallen cops, many of them tried to break the bars but they had no success. The Lantern conjured up a giant green spray can that was labelled sleep spray. He sprayed it on the cops, causing them to pass out onto the ground.

"Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!" the Lantern finished triumphantly.

The Lantern dropped down to the pavement, walking over to Rorschach and the Detective. Rorschach picked his mask up and hastily put it back onto his face.

"Bout time you showed up. Began to worry," Rorschach told him.

"I'm here aren't I? Who's the other guy?" The Green Lantern asked while pointing to the the Detective.

"Detective," Rorschach told him.

"Detective who?"

"Just the Detective, thank you," the Detective told him, deciding that he could introduce himself on his own.

"Cool,' The Lantern said while showing off a toothy grin.

"If you will excuse me for a moment. I have a case to finish," The Detective told them as he and Rorschach walked back into the house of sin.

"I'll tag along," the Lantern said while following after him.

The Detective listened to the Lantern's comments as they re-walked through the horrors of the house. They walked into the room where the superheroines were being stored. The Lantern helped pick up Black Widow and Black Cat. The Detective told him to hold off on the last person. He walked over, he had not noticed her before.

She was young, only about in her late teens to early twenties. She had blonde hair that flowed down to her shoulders. She wore a blue and red outfit, in the middle there was a giant red S surrounded by yellow. The symbol looked familiar, though what it was escaped the Detective.

An oddity caught the Detective's eye. He noticed on her wrist their was a glowing green stone. Normally these thugs would have taken everything that she owned and sold it for some extra petty cash. He took it off of her and scanned it with his sonic screwdriver. It registered as kryptonite. He walked over to table in the back corner and turned to the Lantern.

"Destroy this rock," The Detective instructed.

"Why?" The Lantern questioned.

"Call it a hunch."

The Lantern shrugged before conjuring a giant hammer up and smacking it down on the rock, shattering it into tiny pieces. The girl suddenly sat up and took a giant gulp of air that sounded like a gasp. The Detective walked over to the girl to make sure she was okay.

She looked at the three of them with pale blue eyes, eyes that told anyone who looked into them that they had seen pain before. Pain that no one, save the Detective, could understand.

"Where am I?" She asked, nervousness coming out in her voice.

"You're safe now. Can you walk?" The Detective asked.

She nodded yes and he waved for her to follow them. The three males picked up the remaining superheroines and began to carry them out. Once they had returned back outside the Detective ran to his TARDIS and began to pilot it towards the others.

He landed and parked it, he stuck his head out and told the others to get in. The rest followed his orders but held a confused look on their faces. When they walked in their faces changed from confusion to surprise and wonder as they saw that the TARDIS was bigger on the inside than the outside.

"I thought I had seen it all. But little blue alien guardians, they really can't compare to this," the Lantern told the Detective.

The Detective nodded and looked at the other two heroes. "Where should we go?" He asked.

"Take them to Arkham. There was a recall to the Asylum a little while ago anyway." The Lantern told the Detective.

The Detective plugged the coordinates in. The TARDIS's engine fired up and shortly they were inside the gates of Arkham.

The Detective walked out to see the new Arkham Asylum. Which after an unfortunate event that caused the former Gotham City Police Department building to blow up and the large amounts of villains escaping with no effort. Arkham was redesigned as a hero hospital and the new headquarters of the GCPD.

The Detective watched as the girl began to float. He looked up at her calling after her. She flew back in front of him.

"I'm sorry, but whats your name?" he asked her.

She paused for a minute before a small smile crept onto her face. "Linda, Linda Lang," she told him before flying off into the Asylum.

The Detective chuckled as he began his approach into the asylum. Despite the good use it was being put to now it still reeked of nightmares and madness. It seemed if the Detective listened closely enough he could hear the sound of the screeches of the once captive inmates.

The three stepped into the front doors of the Asylum. Carefully drying their feet off on the front mat or they would risk being shanked by the janitor who painstakingly kept the floors clean and polished. Within moments of entering Gotham's west wing several doctors loaded the wounded superheroines onto gurneys and carted them off to the emergency room.

With that detail taken care of the Lantern began to lead the other two to the big superhero meeting taking place in the asylum. The Detective noticed the oddities of the prison/mental asylum turned hospital/police station.

Cells that once held blatant lunatics now held wounded heroes and soldiers of this war on crime. The plexi glass wall that had once prevented the inhabitants from "easily" leaving their cells were knocked out and many nurses, doctors, and patients walked in and out of these rooms. The few small changes that had turned this building from a place of insanity to a place of hope was in short unbelievable.

The Detective walked in, behind the other two, to a giant room not unsimilar to a giant lecture hall. Three quarters of the hall was filled to the brim with superheroes of all sorts. Some stood out while many were still alien to him as he had not read all of the information given to him about them. Mearly having time to skim through the reports.

The Detective sat down in the front next to a superhero that made him uneasy. The superhero wore an all red suit save for two capital D's in the middle of his chest that rose slightly. He wore a mask that covered the top half of his face and on top had two small horns. He cocked his head, as if he was picking up a signal of some sort.

"Do I frighten you?" he asked while looking at the Detective.

"Not really, just a little uneasy. And you are, good sir?" The Detective asked while extending a hand.

"Daredevil. You have an unusual heartbeat. It is beating at an abnormal rhythm."

"I have two hearts. So I am told that a lot."

Daredevil smirked at this comment, "And who would you be?"

"I am the Detective, and just the Detective. Nothing more, nothing less."

The conversation between them was cut short as the Batman took center stage. He looked around at all of the gathered superheroes though his eyes dwelled on the Detective for a few moments. The lack of trust was evident in his eyes.

"Everybody. One of our if not our biggest challenge faces us today. For all of East Gotham has come under siege by a horde of super villains and monsters," Batman began with a flourish, "They threatened to flatten everything and everyone. Unless we stop this now. We need as many heroes to report to East Gotham now, and we need to move now. Everyone will be given a radio if they do not have one to receive orders. They are located at the front. Now stand up if you can transport many heroes at once."

The Detective stood up. He looked to see only a few others had stood up with him.

Batman looked at him with a titled glance. "How many can you transport?"

"How many do you need?" the Detective asked lazily.

"Could you get fifty there in ten minutes?"

"If I could cross my own time stream I could have had them there an hour ago."

"Alright, take a handful of heroes and report to East Gotham now. You will need to hold the line until the rest of us can arrange transport. Go."

The Detective stood up and picked about ten people. They stood at attention and he walked out of the room. Hastily walking through the halls until he got to the front. He picked up a radio that attached to his wrist and slipped it on. The heroes continued to follow him, though their skepticism rose as they walked into the TARDIS. All of them were in awe once they saw the inside of the blue police box.

This caused the Detective to smirk as he fired the engines up and began to fly to East Gotham. Unaware that tonight, tonight would be the battle of his life.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story will be broken into story arcs. Each will be about 6-7 chapters long and will come together for one giant story arc at the end. Like a comic book. So this one will end in about 2-3 chapters. Depending on if I make a part 1 and part 2 for a chapter or not. Also sorry for the sucky chapter. I needed to get to a certain point and if I didn't than it would have dragged the other chapters down. So I made this ridiculously long and kinda bland in order to set the ending up...just letting you know.