Status: Active!!

Run.

Chapter One

The day I decided to start running was the most defining moment in my life. That exact second when I showed up to the first practice of the indoor track season, in my shorts and tank top, not knowing what to expect, there was a huge shift in my life. I didn't know anyone there. They were athletic, therefore popular at our sports-obsessed school. I had never been in a sport in my life. I mean sure, I played soccer when I was like six, but that doesn't count. By the time I hit middle school, I became the shy, quiet, academically gifted girl everyone came to if they needed answers for the homework they forgot to do. Strangely, I didn't mind giving the answers to them. I knew they were using me, but the attention was nice.

As a sophomore in high school, I was still the same girl with the same reputation. I had the same long, light brown hair, the same green eyes, the same black thick rimmed glasses, the same best friend I'd had since 7th grade. The only thing that changed was my height. I went from being the short, tiny girl in middle school to the tall, lanky, awkward teengager. I stood at exactly 5'8", towering over most girls at my school. My best friend, Katie, was a lot like me, personality wise. She was also very intelligent, always reading - especially Percy Jackson. That was her favorite. She had shoulder length, wavy, naturally dark red hair and wore brown thick rimmed glasses. She was about 5'1" and had extremely pale skin I always teased her about. After she moved to Baton Rouge, Lousiana (where I was born and raised) from Ocean City, New Jersey, I was her first friend. We hit it off immediately, both being too quiet for anyone else to notice.

But now as I sat alone in the back of the room, Coach Lewis standing at the front talking about the season and what would be required of us, I felt alone. I hadn't felt this way in years, since I never went out anywhere without Katie and I was too busy in class to notice other people. It was strange, and I didn't really like it. I sat awkwardly as he talked. A clipboard was being passed around the room. After what felt like forever, the guy sitting in front of me turned and handed it to me.

"What's this for?" I whispered, feeling stupid. The boy smirked at me.

"Just write your name on it. It's for the roster." He looked at me for a second longer, and I really saw how cute this guy was. I rarely thought about guys, and for many reasons. They were immature. They took too much time. I didn't have time to date. If I had my attention on a guy, I wouldn't have as much time to focus on my school work. But this guy...he was different. I could tell he was tall, even though he was sitting. He was definitely built, I could tell he worked out a lot. He had jet black hair and brown eyes. When he smiled he looked like he was smirking. He was so...dreamy. I felt like I could barely form words just looking at him.

He smiled at me as I took the clipboard, then he turned around. Too shy to ask for his name, I looked down at the paper, to the last name on the list. There, scrawled messily in black pen, was his name.

Collin Massey.

Collin. I smiled to myself just for a second, then looked back down to the paper. On the line directly under Collin's name, I printed mine very neatly, in black ink.

Morganna Leigh McEvery.

As I looked at my name there, printed neatly among all the others, I felt a sense of finality. This was it. I was really a part of something now.