Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Off to the Races

(Kay's POV)

“This blows.”

Aimee glanced across the couch at me with her eyebrows raised in question. “What?”

I glared back. “Not having a job! I don't know what to do with myself. I want to go out and do stuff, but with no money coming in-”

“If you need money, you could always ask.”

I shook my head violently. “No. I'm not going to live off of you and Bam. That isn't me and you know it.”

Aimee looked worried. “I was just offering.”

“Please don't.” I bit my lip as I thought about my next words. I didn't want Ames to take offense, but I couldn't be in debt to anyone. Especially a debt I'd never be able to repay. “I want to earn whatever money I make. I don't want hand outs.”

“Fair enough. How do you plan on remedying that?” Aimee turned HIM on her cellphone and let the sweet melodies float through the room.

I tapped my foot along to the beat as I thought about her question. Bam walked into the room a moment later as if drawn in by the music.

“What plans do you ladies have for the day?” He asked as he leaned against the door and watched us in interest.

“Well I thought about drinking at the Pirate bar and listening to the sweet sounds of Ville Valo. Or possibly picking up Clubby and going down to Duffer's II.” Aimee stated with a smirk.

“One of those plans won't work.” Bam said with a chuckle.

“Which one?”

“Clubby's already here.” Bam said as the pirate in question walked into the house. She was actually dressed slightly normal for once. Her hair was brushed and straight while outfit-wise she wore a Jack Sparrow t shirt with baggy jeans and sneakers.

“Captain Clubby to you sea-dog!” The blonde pirate yelled as she punched Bam in the stomach. Noticing us on the couch, the crazy person ran and leaped, landing herself stretched out on our laps. She didn't land lightly and pain radiated through my thighs.

“Thanks for the crash landing, jackass.” Aimee muttered at her friend and ex-roommate.

Clubby's blue eyes met Aimee's and she grinned. “No problem.”

Rolling my own eyes, I pushed the girl off of me and onto the floor. She managed to get her knees under her and went unharmed unfortunately.

“So what is Kay complaining about?” Bam asked, walking farther into the room and rubbing the place Clubby had hit him. I gave him a confused look. “I heard the bitching on my way in.”

Frowning, I stared at him as I spoke. “I'm poor.”

Bam glanced at his girlfriend as if looking for the punchline of some kind of joke. When neither of us said anything, he crossed his arms in front of his chest and pondered the statement. “Poor how?”

“I got fired from my job, Bam, or did you forget about that already?”

“I didn't forget. I was just ignoring it.”

“Whatever.”

Bam sat on the edge of the couch. “Why don't you just work at the Note? We need another bartender.”

“Did you just make up some bullshit job to help me out?” I asked him in suspicion. Bam always managed to do things just to get something in return. I wasn't going to fall for it.

“No, but even if I did, is that a problem?” Bam asked in challenge knowing that no matter what I said, I would have to admit that I needed the job more than my pride at the moment. “Beth can't handle it all on her own.”

Sinking into the couch to keep myself from speaking again, I noticed Clubby was glancing around the room with an expression full of wonder and awe on her face.

“What's wrong, Heather?” Aimee asked as she too noticed our friend.

“Where is Josh? I haven't seen him in a while.” Clubby asked in all innocence.

I glanced at Aimee as she turned to me. “She doesn't know?”

Aimee shrugged and turned back to the pirate. “Kay and Josh are broken up, Clubby.”

“What? When was this? Where was I?” The young woman was honestly confused.

“Uh Heather- it's been since February. After he skipped out on Valentine's day.” I paused and let the information sink in. When she didn't respond, I continued on, “He cheated on me with Jaimie.” Still no reaction. “Like Ethan did.”

Heather's blue eyes widened a moment later as everything I said seemed to permeate her mind. “He did what?!”

“Don't worry.” Bam said as he sensed what the rest of us did. The pirate was plotting something. “We're taking care of it.”

Clubby met each of our gaze's one at a time before, without a word, she turned on her heel and stalked from the room. Silence enveloped us at her departure. After a few moments more, I glanced at my two friends.

“Was it something I said?”