Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

The Gathering

(Chad's POV)

For once, Bam's house was slightly calm. Aimee had taken a newly released Clubby out shopping leaving the guys in a peaceful yet drunken stupor. It was hard to believe that May had already arrived and Kay and I were still estranged. She had also taken a job alongside Jess' wife, Kelly, and I saw her even less than I did before. On top of that, the only gig CKY had in the next few months was a thirty minute set at the Gathering of the Juggalos in August. I still hadn't decided whether I wanted to join them at the show and considering how much I hated the music played at it, I was still debating.

“It's not that hard of a decision to make.” Jess said as we stood around the pool table with our beers. We'd just stopped our game a few minutes before to figure out how the Hell CKY would survive the lack of shows we'd had as of late. “I mean, we're the first band scheduled to play on the first day of the show. We go, play, and if you want to, then leave after.”

“It's ICP though. Their music is nothing like ours. We probably won't even have a crowd to play to.” I took a long drink of the ale to keep from saying any more.

Jess rolled his eyes. “Dude- seriously. The Gathering of the Juggalos has some crazy ass people, but it's exposure, Chad. This is the kind of thing we've been waiting for.”

“I don't know...” I trailed off as my eyes locked on Kay. She'd just walked into the house and paused at the sight of Jess and I standing there. When she said nothing and didn't make a move to leave, I managed a weak smile for her. “Hey.”

Her green eyes glanced between Jess and I for an instant longer before she replied. “Hey.”

In order to overcome the awkwardness that had descended, I gestured towards the door she'd just entered with my beer still in my hand. “Aimee left about an hour ago. Clubby came home early. She was trying to distract her.”

Kay nodded and crossed her arms over her chest. “I heard. I'm not actually looking for Ames. Have you seen Bam?”

Jess and I shook our heads in answer and Kay sighed, dropping her hands to her sides again. Seeing her in such distress pulled at my heart and I had to focus on my breathing to keep it steady. I beat down the urge to walk up to her and pull her into my arms. I wanted to comfort her, but I didn't dare. I had no idea how she felt about me and it was clear that she was cautious around me like she was afraid of what she'd do.

“Did something happen?” Jess asked, mirroring my thoughts in the way only a true friend could.

Kay approached where we still stood at the pool table. “No. I needed to ask him something.”

“How is the job with Kelly going?” Jess asked once she grabbed a beer for herself and sat on the edge of the table.

Kicking her feet back and forth, it was endearing to watch, she smiled brightly. Seeing it made me realize how much I missed seeing that smile of hers.

“Great! I really like it. It's actually why I'm looking for Bam. I don't want the job at the Note anymore. Kelly asked me to stay on even when Jessica comes back.” Kay's smile widened as she thought about it. “I can't wait.”

“That's awesome.” Jess said with a smile of his own.

I couldn't respond. I was too busy mesmerizing the look on her face. I would try to make a smile like that appear on her face every day for the rest of our lives if only she'd just let me.

“What are you guys talking about?”

Jesse set his bottle down in order to explain. “We've got an offer to play at the Gathering of the Juggalos this year.”

“Really?! Are you?” Kay's eyes had lit up at the mention of the music festival. I had the weird suspicion that she'd been to one before.

“We're still deciding.” Jess looked at me when he spoke. He was obviously leaving it up to me to decide.

Kay turned to face me when she realized Jess had looked at me. Her eyes were bright with excitement, but she tried hard to keep the smile from her face. “What were you guys going to do?”

I could sense Jess' self satisfied smirk while he watched us. He knew I wouldn't deny Kay this experience. With a smile of my own, I answered her question. “We are playing, of course.”

She squealed out in excitement and jumping down from the pool table, she threw her arms around me in a hug. A moment too soon she pulled away to give Jess a hug too. Turning back to me, she practically glowed with happiness. “I have to go find Aimee. And Heather! This is going to be amazing!”

She rushed from the house leaving Jess and I alone once more. With a sigh, I met my friend's gaze.

“Sucker.”

“Fuck you.” I spat at him before gulping down my beer.

“You've got it hard for her, man.” Jess observed.

“I know.” I admitted. There was little else I could do.