Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Graduate

(Kay's POV)

My sister was graduating from community college. It was so surreal and I was finding it hard to come to terms with. Did that mean I was getting old?

Glancing out the window of Bam's Hummer, I watched as the serene landscape of Ulster County, New York passed us by. We had driven the Hummer from West Chester to my hometown in New York because it was the only car that would fit everyone in it that wanted to come to the graduation. Bam was driving the monster while Aimee was singing along to HIM in the passenger seat. In the back, I was in the seat behind Aimee staring out the window at a state I hadn't been to in months. Apple sat in the middle of the seat while Chad sat on her other side doing the exact same as me. He had barely spoken a word since we'd left PA.

It was starting to worry me.

“So what time is the graduation?” Bam asked from the front seat. The car had been sitting in uncomfortable silence for the last twenty minutes and I was grateful for the distraction.

“At five in the afternoon, but we're expected at my mom's around three.”

“Why so early?”

“Mommy Brannigan wants to meet everyone beforehand.” Aimee finished for me. “She's has to know who everyone is at all times.”

I giggled at Aimee's explanation even though it was a 100 percent true. My mom had to know everyone we hung out with, who we dated or even mentioned in passing conversation. She liked having a face to put to a name and if I was honest, I was starting to turn into her.

The three of us made light conversation until we pulled into my mom's small trailer on a dead end street. The only cars in the driveway were my mother's and Carina's. For that, I was eternally grateful. My younger brother was a menace. Climbing down from the enormous blue Hummer, the first thing I heard was my mother calling out my name. Glancing up, I watched as the woman I got my features from climbed down her stairs and pulled me into a hug.

“I missed you Kristin!” She exclaimed in her joy. “It's been way too long!”

Pulling away from the hug, I smiled at my mother. “You're just saying that because Car's been driving you up the wall.”

“Only partially.” She said with a smirk. Looking into my mother's eyes, I realized how eerie it was that we shared the same hair color and eyes. I could be her if I were twenty years older and fifty pounds heavier. I smiled at my mom before turning to my car mates who had all left the vehicle and were standing behind me. At the sight of my burgundy haired best friend, Deidre Brannigan threw her arms around her. “Aimee! It's so good to see you.”

“Hi Mom.” Aimee said with an honest grin. “I've miss you too.”

Deidre eyed the others in our group as she and Aimee released each other. “Now which one of these handsome men is the crazy boyfriend Car has told me so much about?”

“Handsome?” My sister's voice called from the porch. “When did I say they were handsome?”

My mother, arms crossed in front of her chest, glanced back at my very blonde younger sister. From where I stood, it was clear Carina spent a lot of time outside recently. “The way you described them I only assumed they had to be handsome.”

“See? Assumed? It's not the same thing as actually saying it.” Carina said with an eye roll. “Aimee's boyfriend is the one who doesn't look like he's eaten something bad.”

Chad glared at my sister and I couldn't help the laugh that escaped my mouth. His brown eyes looked my way with an unsure expression. He clearly wanted to be mad at Carina, but didn't know if I would take offense.

Bam laughed outright. “That's a good one, Car. I guess it'll be a good thing to have you around West Chester full time. I need someone else to torture Chad with.”

Carina smiled brightly at the semi-compliment. “Thank you Margera.”

“Oh God, not you too.” Apple said with an exasperated sigh. “The house is going to be a circus.”

“Isn't it already?” Aimee asked with a giggle.

My mother stood there in confusion as we bickered. She didn't seem to understand what was going on around her and I felt slightly bad for her. Putting a hand on her arm, I smiled at her comfortingly.

“Carina will be in good hands. She'll have me and Aimee to bypass the crazies.”

“I'm not crazy.” Chad said with a frown. “Why does everyone have to pick on me?”

“Why do you have to be a party pooper?” Carina asked as she finally joined our little group by the car. My mother looked appalled, but my sister just shrugged. “It's an honest question, mom.”

“Oh my God. I'm so glad that you're graduating today.” She said before she left the group for the safety of her house.

“Hey!” Carina called out to her back. “I'll be visiting!” When my mother refused to acknowledge her statement, my sister followed her. “Mom!”

Sighing in something akin to happiness, I glanced at my friends. “Welcome to my home.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Merry Christmas to all who celebrate! IrishFighter96 and I will not be updating this story until after New Year's. We both want to spend time with our family without having to worry about updating. Thanks for the understanding and we'll see you next year!