Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Falling to Pieces

(Kay's POV)

Tension was high. Tammy was still on the loose after the break in at Bam's house and no one really knew what to expect. Aimee was terrified of staying at the Castle, but Bam had put in extra security measures as soon as they'd returned home. I, on the other hand, didn't have special security features available to me. I still lived in a small two bedroom apartment in West Chester by myself. I wasn't allowed to have a dog and my cat was useless if someone broke in. I spent the first two nights after we returned from graduation unable to sleep. Every time I closed my eyes, I swore I would hear a noise and would be up for another hour listening to the apartment surrounding me.

I think Aimee and the rest of my friends picked up on my worry though most of them had the same worries in regards to themselves. No one knew what to expect from Tammy and no one knew who she had on her side. It was clear that she didn't break into the Castle by herself.

By the third day, I was practically falling asleep on Bam's leather couch. It had been so comfortable and I told myself it would only be for a few minutes...

It didn't feel like much longer when I was being gently shaken awake.

My eyes shot open when it occurred to me I wasn't at home. Fear coursed through my body at all of the possibilities of who could be sitting beside me. My wide green eyes took in the sight of Chad's surprised face. His dark eyes probably mirrored mine in their fear as we took in each others faces.

Once my heart managed to return to its normal rhythm, I reached out with as much strength as I could muster and I slapped at Chad's face. He wasn't fast enough to catch my hand before it connected with his cheek. His look of shock turned to despair.

“Kay! Are you alright?” His hands landed on my shoulders as if to calm me, but all it did was infuriate me more.

“What the fuck are you doing?” I screamed, unable to keep my voice down. “You scared the shit out of me!”

Not thinking about his actions, the idiot pulled me into a hug. “Shh. It'll be alright. You've just had a scare.”

Stopping the growl that wanted badly to be let out, I lifted my hands up once more, but this time I pushed him off of me and onto his ass. Chad landed on the hardwood with a thump and I regained my feet. Staring down at the man I cared about but couldn't find it in my heart to forgive for everything he'd done, I had to take a deep breath before I could speak again. He was so clueless and it hurt more that he didn't realize how much being around him wounded me.

“I haven't had just a scare, Chad.” I snapped, my anger pouring from me with no end. “I'm fucking terrified!”

Chad scrambled to his feet and though he kept his hands to himself, he took a step towards me. “Kay- if you're so scared, you can stay with me until Tammy is caught. I have plenty of room in the house-”

“I turned down Bam and Jess' offers to stay with them already. What makes you think I'd stay with you instead?” I asked, incredulous.

“It was another option I wanted to offer.” Chad said quietly, clearly not used to being denied like that. His expression had turned sad and though it hurt to see him so upset, the thought of what he did with Jaimie made my blood boil. “You didn't have to slap me.”

“You didn't have to wake me up like that.” I told him sternly. “Besides- why would I want to walk where Jaimie's probably walked before?”

Jaimie's name seemed to be like a whip to Chad's pride. With anger in his gaze, he lashed out at me. “What the fuck does Jaimie have to do with anything?”

“Did you fuck her in your place or hers? I can't seem to remember that little detail, but the image of the two of you together is burned into my brain!” I knew my voice could be heard out the windows and most of Bam's friends probably heard every word we said to each other, but I was past the point of caring. I was literally falling to pieces in front of Chad.

“What does it matter what I did with Jaimie? I offered to let you stay because I feel sorry for you! You're all alone in that apartment and for good reason too! I don't even know why I bother.” Chad's words were like a knife to my heart and each one ripped it open a little more.

Scoffing at him though I was in pain, I shot him a look that would wither a flower on the spot. It seemed to have no effect on him which hurt even more. “You're an idiot, Chad.”

It was all I could manage before I left the house as fast as I could.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm going to be updating this slowly for now. Hope everyone enjoys this chapter!