Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

How to Form a Scar

(Aimee's POV)

The first few days after Tammy broke in had been hard. I was almost feeling comfortable when everywhere you looked was a reminder that things were different. That things had been there before, but now sat broken in the garbage. There was a lot of empty places around the house to remind me that it wasn't as safe as I had previously thought.

Bam had left to California for Element meetings and a few demos a couple days ago making the nights even worse. Thankfully though, Chad had crashed at the house one night and Novak the night before. But now I was on my own to battle my fears.

Convinced that getting wasted would help, I grabbed a bottle of Jim Beam and prepared for a night of drunken movie watching. Starting with the Lost Boys, I didn't get far into it before I passed out with a half empty bottle sitting on my night stand.

A sound woke me from my drunken slumber, but I had no idea what it was. I almost passed back out when the sound happened a second time. Still unsure of what the hell was going on, I flung the covers off of my body. Goosebumps began to fill up my bare legs and arms, but it wasn't from the central air. Something just didn't feel right.

My slippers slid up my legs as I pulled them up. Right before walking out the room, an odd sound echoed from right outside the bedroom door.

I couldn't help but feel my body lock up while my head screamed at my legs to run. Don't know where I could run, but I needed to go somewhere and somewhere I could protect myself.

(Jaimie's POV)

We all wore the same thing: black yoga pants, black hoodies, black ski masks and men's boots. The boots were different than our actual sizes to throw the police off in case we got arrested afterward. Tugging the black driving gloves into place over the latex gloves we all wore underneath, I took the baseball bat back from Brie. Tammy was the only other one with a weapon since the other girls were only there for lookout purposes and to destroy as much as possible.

We had planned this for months and it was supposed to go down the week before. Of course, we had missed our window of opportunity when they weren't home. Now we were going to make up for that.

According to Dave, an officer that Tammy was screwing just for information, the couple was back from their trip to New York and even better, Aimee would be home alone. Too bad poor Dave had no idea who Tammy really was. He assumed her name was Andrea and had never been to West Chester before.

Tammy used the spare key we had taken during the last trip and tossed it to the side when it didn't work. "Jas- pick the lock again."

The younger girl, who looked like a younger version of her mother, stepped up and pulled her tools out of her sweat pants pocket. It wasn't even a full minute before we were standing inside the house, the security system silenced and Tammy issuing us orders. "Brie, Jas- have some fun down here. I want everything broken. When you're done, go through the garage and finish up." The girls got to work as Tammy pointed me upstairs. "Go check all the rooms and make sure there are no visitors."

Nodding, I started checking each room to make sure there were no “heros” lurking. Heading up the stairs behind me, Tammy banged her weapon of choice, a police baton she had borrowed from Dave, on the wall causing it to echo through the house. Smirking, I quickly checked the rooms and almost laughed when Tammy smacked the baton against the wall again while still on the stairs.

I gave her a thumbs up, signaling everything being clear. The bitch was home all alone and had no idea what was going to come her way. She was going to be put in her place for once and the only thing that could make it better would be if that whore, Kay, had been in the house as well. That would have made my night. I had suggested hitting the apartment as well, but as Tammy pointed out, the police would be able to respond too quickly and us attacking here would scare them all enough.

Slamming the baton on the wall outside the master bedroom door, Tammy grinned wickedly before kicking the door open and rushing in. I waited outside the doorway listening like she wanted me to so she could do the damage she had wanted to inflict.

(Aimee's POV)

I heard the door burst open just as I ducked down in the dark of the bathroom. Looking around the corner, I saw a black figure moving among the shadows of the room. A long object was in one of their hands which caused me to look around for a quick weapon. Only seeing a toilet plunger within reach, I rolled my eyes as I grabbed it. What was I going to do with this?

It didn't take long for the figure to move into the bathroom. Using whatever small element of surprise I had, I moved into action and slapped the figure in the face with the rubber end of the plunger before flipping it around quickly to jab the handle towards the intruder's face. Too bad they had recovered quickly and the weapon they held onto collided with my ribcage. Falling to the tiles, I fought to fill my lungs with air. I nearly fainted before I managed a single breath. The blows from the figure seemed never ending.

I focused on figuring on a way out. It was probably the sixth or seventh blow when I gathered my strength to kick out the person's knee. A woman's scream bellowed out from her as she grabbed at her injury. Pulling myself up, I watched a second figure come in and I let myself see red.

Feeling as though I was only a spectator, I tripped the new person and as they started to fall, kicked them into the sliding glass door that belonged to the shower. Glass broke everywhere and I fought the urge to rip off the masks of my attackers. Running out the bedroom door, I didn't look around at the damaged home as I grabbed my cell from the couch where it had slid under the pillow.

My jog to where the Hummer sat became harder with each stride I took. Pain shot through my ribcage as my adrenaline wore down. Reaching it, I unlocked the door and climbed in. It had been a challenge in itself, but I managed. Starting the tank up, I peeled out of the driveway hoping that the officer parked at the gate entrance would see me coming. Unfortunately no one was there.

(April's POV)

Less than ten minutes after we received the phone call from the police department, Phil and I were out the door and racing to the hospital. They wouldn't say much except that apparently someone had broken into Brandon's house again, but this time his girlfriend was home. The detective said that Ames was rushed to the hospital but that she was in a stable condition. Wanting to wait until we arrived at the hospital to call Bam, I called the next person I could think of that would be able to comfort her.

Kay met us at the hospital and held both of our hands tight as the detective told us what had happened. They received a call from Ames while she was driving and they had her pull over at the police station to file a report. Once they saw the extent of her injuries, they had an ambulance come pick her up and take her right to the hospital before calling me. What had happened beforehand though made me feel sick inside.

They didn't say much, but from what Ames had told them they were on the search for a whole group of suspects. At least two of them would have serious injuries that the police could use to identify the suspects by but they believed there where more people involved than that.

The detective never got to finish telling us everything. He stopped talking as soon as Chad walked in the door, approached one of the officers and proceeded to actually punch him right in the face.

"CHAD!" The scream left my mouth as I raised a hand at the same time to cover it. I knew he had a record of being physical, all of them did, but I never had really witnessed it before.

"CHAD FUCKING GINSBURG!!! What the fuck do you think you are doing?" Kay shoved the pissed off man away from the cop and pointed him to the other side of the room. "You want to explain why you punched Officer Paul?"

Why did one of the girls being on a first name basis with any of the cops not surprise me?

"Cause that douchebag promised she would be safe spending a night on her own. I was supposed to be there but he said not to worry!"

I noticed a couple things standing there watching them argue. Chad protected Ames like he would with a sister and argued with Kay like he would with a wife. No longer was I worried about Kay's safety going toe to toe with Chad. As it was, he seemed to know he was already losing this fight.