Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Second Chances

(Beth's POV)

“A new lead has developed in the break in at Bam Margera’s house.”

I turned to the TV that was on behind me at the bar and listened more closely to the anchorman.

“Tammy Palumbo has been arrested for assault, destruction of property and breaking and entering the skateboarder’s home in West Chester, Pennsylvania. Ms. Palumbo was once romantically connected to the MTV star. Margera’s publicist released this statement: ‘We believe that this was an act of jealousy brought on by Bam’s relationship with MTV star, Aimee McCluskley. They have both chosen to press charges. At this point, the couple just want to get their lives back to normal. They hope that the fans and press can respect this wish’. Bam Margera is well-known for his role in….”

I turned off the TV. I didn’t need to hear any more of this shit. All of our lives had turned upside down since the break in. Aimee had put on a tough mask, but I could tell she was afraid. Kay had barely been sleeping at all. Everyone was on edge. You could feel it in the whole town. Everyone was watching and waiting to see what happened next. I couldn’t blame them. Bam and the guys were the biggest thing to happen to this sleepy college town.

I sighed and continued to wipe down the bar. In our late teens and early twenties it had been a rush to be in the middle of all that was going on with the guys. I had a front row seat to the side show as Chris Raab’s girlfriend. Chris and I had started dating in high school. I only broke up with him when Viva La Bam had started. His drinking had hit a high and I was dealing with my own insecurities. Bam was always trying to get us back together, but we were and still are both too stubborn for our own good.

Raab and Bam had a falling out not too long after Viva La Bam started. I didn’t know what it was over. I’m not sure they even knew what it was over. Chris had taken off to California to pursue his acting career last I heard. There was no use in wasting time thinking about the past. I continued wiping down the bar while looking out into space.

A few days later, I found myself back in my usual spot behind the bar at the Note. It had been a slow day. It was too early for most people to be drinking on a Tuesday. I heard the door open and I looked at the people who walked in. Bam and Jess walked in followed closely by another man. My heart just skipped a beat.

Chris.

I watched as the three men approached the bar and ordered beers from me. Bam and Jess chatted with me as I prepared the drinks. Chris had yet to say anything, but he kept on making eye contact with me.

“When do you get off, Beth?” Bam asked.

“Not for a while boss. Why?” I was trying to sound normal, but I knew I was failing. My hands were shaking.

“We’re heading to New Hope to go to John & Peter’s with Chad. I wanted you to come.”

“Well I still have to work. We aren’t all millionaires. Remember?”

“That’s a shame. It would have been nice to have you there.” Chris said, quietly.

“How about one more beer before we go?” Jess asked.

I went to go refill their glasses. I looked back at the guys. Chris was staring at me. I turned back to what I was doing. Grabbing a piece of paper, I wrote down my number. I wrapped it around the beer that I handed Chris. I walked down to the other end of the bar. There was no way I could watch his reaction. The only thing I could do is wait and see what he did next. I was willing to give what we had a second try.

I hoped Chris was too.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is Amy's first chapter as Beth. Hope you all liked it!