Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Under My Skin

(Kay’s POV)

I thought I would sleep the night away. I thought it would be easy for me to snuggle under my covers and pass out for the night. I was expecting to wake up the next morning and be ready for anything. But of course that didn’t happen. Nothing in my life went according to plan anymore.

He had called me around two in the morning. I had been sleeping for around four hours and the sound of my Owl City ringtone scared the shit out of me. Fumbling around for my cell phone, I nearly dropped it against the hardwood floors in my room. I clutched it in my hand and once I was sure it was safe, I lifted it to my ear.

“Hello?” I muttered, half-asleep and half-terrified. My voice was scratchy from just waking up and I was pissed that I was woken up in the most random hour of the night. Not even Clubby did that shit to me.

His voice was the next thing that shocked me. I hadn’t heard it in nearly six months and those six months had been very peaceful. It had almost been dream worthy… Then it was what he said.

“You awake?”

Feeling the Irish in me fight to get out, I took a deep breath to try and calm myself. When I spoke, however, I realized too late that it hadn’t worked. “Are you fucking kidding me?”

My ex, Ethan, scoffed on the other end of the phone. “You don’t have to be such a bitch about it. It was just a question.”

“A bitch? Seriously Ethan? You are so fucking full of shit that it’s unbelievable.”

“Hey! I thought you’d want to chill or some shit. But all I get is a bitch out.” Ethan sounded furious as well, but his anger had nothing on mine. Mine was infamous. He had been at the receiving end of it many times. How he hadn’t learned not to piss me off was beyond my understanding.

“You call me at 2 o’clock in the morning and expect me to come chill? I worked all day today, I’m tired and we aren’t together anymore! Or did you forget that?”

“Just because we aren’t dating doesn’t mean we can’t hook up still.”

The moron just didn’t get it. He always had a way to get under my skin and at times, I thought he did it on purpose. He loved to see me riled up and pissed. It was one of the reasons I dumped his dumb ass.

“Yes, Ethan, it does. We are no longer together and haven’t been for a long time now. Stop calling me!”

Ending the call, I placed the phone back on my nightstand. Sighing loudly, I sank back into my pillow. Pulling the blankets up to my chin, I attempted to fall back asleep, but sleep was out of reach now. Ethan had stirred up my emotions and I was not going to calm down enough to pass back out. Damn my Irish temper.

Angrily, I tossed the blankets off of me and made my way to the kitchen. Rifling through the fridge, I found a slice of pizza from dinner and sat at the kitchen table munching on the cold food. I was too frustrated with Ethan to care about sleep or heating up my food. I wanted a beer, but thought better of it. I didn’t need to be drunk on top of my emotional rollercoaster. I might actually do something stupid when it came to him and that didn’t include the hooking up he wanted to do… but it might have included murder.

It was around six when Kelly wandered into the living room where I sat on the couch watching a random early morning cartoon show. At the sight of my bloodshot eyes and glazed over expression, Kelly paused in the doorway to the room and gave me a concerned look.

“Are you ok?” She was my roommate… she’d seen me at my worst. But she hadn’t seen me like this for over six months… not since I broke up with dickhead. Allowing my eyes to leave the television set and to glance at my close friend, I shrugged instead of speaking. Understanding came over her features. “Ethan?”

I nodded and Kelly sighed. Plopping down on the couch next to me, she put a comforting arm around me and I laid my head on her shoulder.

“What did he do now?”

“Call me at two in the morning to ask me to hook up.”

“What a dickhead.” She spat out. Kelly didn’t curse much, but when she did, it showed how pissed she actually was. “Did you put him in his place?”

The question brought a smile to my face. “Yeah. He was pissed.”

A laugh came from Kelly. “Good. Bitch deserves it.”

The banter made me feel better and within a half hour, I was sleeping again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading!