Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Reunited

(Kay's POV)

The sound of banging woke me up a few weeks later. Tammy had been caught only days before and was awaiting the judge to be formally charged for the break in and multiple attempted assaults on Aimee. She was sitting in Chester County Jail, but I was still on edge. A loud knock echoed through the apartment suddenly. Glancing at my alarm clock, the bright green 8:30am was practically screaming at me. Why did it have to be me?

Climbing from bed, I glanced down at my attire and realized I was still in my outfit from the night before. Groaning, I ran a hand through my messy hair and caught my reflection in the mirror. A pair of cut off jean shorts, a white tank top layered under a black studded crop top and my extremely long copper hair in a mess of waves. I stared at my hair for a moment longer than I should have. Maybe I should put bangs in again.

The loud knocking resumed jerking me back to reality. Damn it, I thought as I made my way to the front door. This had better be good.

Pulling open the door to my apartment, I paused as I took in the sight of the woman in front of me. Long blonde hair had been pulled up into a ponytail that brushed against her back. She was dressed in a yellow sundress with pretty white sandals. A bag was in her hand while another was swung over her shoulder. A pair of hazel-green eyes appraised my appearance before she spoke.

“I'm here!” Carina shouted in excitement. The smile on her face wasn't faked and though I was happy my sister was moving in with me, at the moment I was dumbfounded. “What took you so long to answer the door?”

“Car... I was sleeping.”

“It's 8 in the morning!” She said as if she were my mother. Now that I thought about that, she said it exactly like my mom would have. My younger sister walked into the house as if she already paid the rent.

“On a Saturday.” I reminded her as I closed the door and followed her. She was setting her bags down by the couch and inspecting the apartment with her hands on her hips.

“Don't you work?” Carina asked as she went to the kitchen to do God knew what.

“Yeah. During the week.” I trailed behind her because I didn't really trust her to not break something. “What are you doing?”

Carina was in the midst of playing with the toaster and glanced up at me. “This place needs a reboot.”

“Meaning?”

Sighing as if my question was stupid, my sister straightened her spine and stared at me. “It doesn't have a girl's touch.”

“Excuse me?” I asked, offended that she'd say such a thing.

“Oh I know you and Ames are girls, but the two of you don't know how to be girls. I mean, I guess some guys are into that-”

“Make your point or get hurt.” I warned her, not really wanting to hear her point, but hoping it would at least shut her the fuck up.

Frowning at me, Carina stuck up her nose as if she were royalty or some shit. “Never mind.” Turning on her heel, she strolled from the kitchen back to the living room. “I'll get the rest of my bags.”

“I'm going back to bed.” I told her unhappily. I loved my sister, but sometimes she pushed me too far.

Carina spun around to face me at that statement. “What? You aren't going to help me?”

“I'm tired, Car. I had a long week and deserve the extra sleep.” I told her exhaustively. “What time did you leave New York anyway?”

“5 o'clock. Drove nonstop to get here early enough to spend the day moving in.” My sister told me with a small shrug. “Why?”

“You're insane.” I said, putting my hands through my hair again. “Can the bags wait for another hour or so? I want to go back to bed.”

Carina shook her head. “Sleep can wait. I cannot.” A smile appeared on her face a moment later as if she had a wonderful idea. “Where can I find the guys? Maybe one of them will help me.”

That caught my attention. “The guys wouldn't help you move in, Car. Your bags wouldn't even make it into the apartment. They'd probably end up in the Brandywine or something.”

“At least it's more help than you're giving me.” She said as she turned to leave the apartment and, no doubt, to get her cell phone.

Grumbling under my breath, I decided I'd rather lose that hour of sleep than have the jackasses trampling through my apartment. I raced out after my sister pulling my sneakers on as I went. I vowed to make Car pay for this the very next morning when she decided she wanted to sleep late. It would be almost like having Aimee living with me again.