Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Part Time Roadie, Part Time Bartender, Full Time Ass

(Carina's POV)

I'd only been in West Chester a week and I already had a job thanks to Mr. Margera himself. He had told me that the Note needed a part time roadie and a part time bartender, thanks to my sister bailing on him for Kelly Margera's event planning business, so I could have both jobs at 20 hours a week each. Half the time I was tending the bar and then on those big show nights, I would roadie for the bands.

Bam loved it. Chad, on the other hand, hated it.

“This show is practice for the Gathering!” He shouted at me as I stood there in silence. We had been working together setting up the stage for CKY's 'practice' set for their big ICP show and he went off when I 'accidentally' misplaced his Jack bottle. “You are probably the worst roadie I've ever seen in my life.”

“I doubt that.” I told him with a wide grin. “You've probably fucked shit up a million times all on your own.”

Chad glared at me, but didn't say anything else. Smart boy. Maybe he was learning. You don't fight with a Brannigan... you tended to lose if you did.

“I'm a part time roadie, Chad. It's not like I plan on keeping this job past the summer. Once school starts-”

“Can we do this without the talking?” Chad barked out at me as I was trying to finish my explanation. “That would be so nice.”

I closed my lips and pondered my time. We'd managed to get through speaker set up when I decided to try my luck. “So what I was saying before-”

“You don't know how to shut up, do you?” Chad asked me, not with anger this time but desperation.

My answering smile was blinding. “I was sadly not taught that trick.”

Chad grumbled something under his breath, but I didn't manage to catch what was said.

“What was that?” I asked sweetly. When he didn't speak, I smirked to myself. I loved to annoy people. My mother had always told me it was a lost art I'd apparently did very well and though I liked Chad as a person, I knew my sister was miserable because of him. I needed to do this for both of us. “So why does CKY need to practice? You've guys have been doing shows, for what, fifty years now?”

“Ha ha.” Chad said though it was clear he wasn't amused by my jab at his age. “We need to figure what we're going to do about Deron.”

This was the first time I heard about an issue with their lead singer. “What's wrong with DerBear?”

The name threw him for a loop until he just shook his head. “He's got really bad arthritis and it's hard for him to play the guitar anymore. We’re thinking about just ending CKY after the Gathering. It's been really hard on all of us.”

Putting a finger to my chin, I leaned against the speaker behind me. It tipped slightly and Chad looks like he was about to pop a vein. “Ames can play the guitar really well.”

Chad seemed to be distracted for the moment by that revelation. “She can?”

I nodded quickly as if it excited me to tell him. Really I couldn’t care less. “She's really good. She and Kay were in a band back in high school and she learned from her best guy friend. You should hear her sometime.”

Chad seemed to be lost in his own thoughts so he didn't even notice the grin on my face. It seemed he was truly considering my words.

“You know what I think, Chad?” I said with as innocent an expression as I could muster.

He eyed me curiously. “Not really, but I have a feeling you'll tell me anyway.”

“I think we make a good team. I could be your assistant. Like full time?”

Chad gave me a strange look. “Assistant?”

I nodded.

Chad laughed. “Full time Ass is more like it.”

My mouth dropped open at the name. He chuckled once more and walked backstage to get more equipment. I stood there in disbelief because there was nothing else I could think to say.

It was a first.