Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

The Truth of the Matter

(Kay's POV)

My phone buzzed with a text as I finished tying my bathing suit top. Glancing at the name on the screen, I almost threw the phone against the wall. I hadn't spoken to Christina since she'd aligned herself with Jaimie and I had no idea why she'd bother me now. Deciding I was going to ignore her for the time, I grabbed my cover up dress and tossed it on over my suit. Slipping into a pair of flip flops, I met my sister by the car and we drove to Bam's house.

It was technically past the Fourth of July, but that didn't matter to the Margera family. Bam decided we needed to have a post Fourth barbeque and swim party. By the time we'd arrived, most of our friends had already arrived. Climbing the stairs to the deck that overlooked the pool, I noticed Jesse was already in the midst of grilling. Smiling at my friend and adopted brother, I sat on a chair underneath the patio umbrella.

Jesse glanced over at me while I pulled my sunglasses off and laid them on the table next to me. “Did you need a drink? Aimee's making mixed drinks at the pirate bar.”

“Drinks? I could use one.” Carina said as she joined me at the table in the shade of the umbrella. The weather was getting hot and the shining sun made it even more so.

“You're too young to drink, remember?” I told my sister with a pointed look. “You're only nineteen sweetheart.”

Crossing her arms over her chest, Carina leaned back into her chair with a pout on her face. “Poo.”

Jesse's chuckle reached us and made a smile grace my face. It was great to have Jess around as a big brother to me and Carina. I knew he'd help me keep her in line if I needed him. Meeting my sister's fake sad expression, I laughed. “I'm going inside to get one. Did you want anything nonalcoholic?”

“Where's the fun in that?” She asked me so seriously it almost made me laugh again.

“I'll take that as a 'yes.'” I turned to my big brother figure with a grin on my lips. “For you?”

Jesse lifted the beer in his hand before taking a swig. Entering the cool house without another word, I nearly shivered in my barely there dress cover up and skimpy suit. Aimee and I had gone shopping for new bathing suits less than a month before and I knew she couldn't wait to show hers off as much as I wanted to show off mine. Rubbing the goosebumps on my arms so they'd disappear, I walked down the stairs into the pirate bar.

Aimee was leaning over the counter of the bar slicing limes. She didn't even notice my arrival. Making my way to the bar, I found a spare stool and pulled it up to join her.

“Need any help?” I asked as I sat myself down and glanced at the spread before her. She must have spent her morning slicing lemons, limes and oranges not to mention putting bowls together of cherries and olives for the drinks we'd be having during the party. “Is there anything left to do?”

Aimee smiled up at me. “The drinks need to be mixed, but that can wait.” Her eyes took in my appearance before an evil smirk slid over her lips. Turning back to her task, she continued, “Chad's going to be drooling over you, you know that right?”

I shrugged and popped a cherry in my mouth as if it didn't matter to me. “He and I aren't speaking.”

“Bam told me about the fight.” Ames continued as if I hadn't spoken. “You did the right thing, Kay.”

“I can't take the crap anymore. I just want him to admit he screwed up and beg for my forgiveness.” I said a little sheepishly. I couldn't believe I was saying these things. What had happened to me?

“Unfortunately Chad doesn't seem like the begging type.”

I was going to respond, but another thought popped into my head. Smirking, I retrieved an orange from its cutting board. “Maybe my suit will help him along with that.”

Aimee gave me an appreciative look. “You bad bad girl. Does your mother know you have such impure thoughts?”

I laughed instead of responding. If my mother knew how I thought about things, it'd make her toes curl. Grabbing a martini shaker, I began to fill it with the ingredients needed for a dry martini and began to make drinks with my best friend. Not long into our work, Carina's blonde head peeked around the corner of the wall that divided the staircase from the bar area.

“Hey! Everyone is here!” Hopping onto a stool beside me, my sister glanced at our work. “I could take some of the drinks up.”

Eying her with suspicion, I asked, “How will I know these drinks will actually make it to its intended recipient?”

Car's expression fell into that pout she'd begun to perfect so well. “I'm not an alcoholic. That's reserved for people like you.”

“Oh thanks so much.” I said sarcastically. Handing her a tray loaded with martinis, whiskey sours and vodka drinks, I indicated for her to continue on her way.

In response, she stuck her tongue out at me before making her way back up the stairs.

With my tray loaded, I met Aimee's gaze. “Shall we?”

Ames pointed at the cover up dress. “Only when that comes off.”

I gave her a look. “I'll be ruined!”

Rolling her eyes, my friend didn't hesitate to respond. “You're already ruined! Take the thing off and come on before the guys eat all the food.”

I did as she said with a laugh and then, with my tray in hand, climbed the stairs behind her. Once we cleared the sliding glass door, all of the talking that had been happening paused making me glance up.

Tons of eyes were focused on me and Ames. It was exactly what we'd intended, but I hadn't expected to feel so embarrassed. Setting the tray down on the table, I reached forward for my whiskey sour and took a long sip. Aimee, however, was prancing around in her suit, and now that I looked, a pair of black heels. Her suit was simple and yet still had a sexy rocker vibe to it. The top was ruched and in halter form with her midriff showing. It was white and black with gold studs accenting it. Her bottom was a low rise white bikini with a black ruched waist and gold side bars to match the top. Her burgundy hair had been pulled up into a ponytail and a pair of pink sunglasses sat upon her head. She smirked at Bam's attention and made her way to him. Once in his vicinity, she sank effortlessly into his lap and planted a kiss on his lips.

My swimsuit was very different from Aimee's however. Mine consisted of a twisted bandeau top which was half black and white stripes and the other half was dotted with a pair of bikini bottoms that were dotted with gold circles at the sides to hold them up. My copper colored hair hung in its natural waves with the blonde highlights I put in only noticeable in the sunlight. My suit was definitely more revealing than my friend's, but I was also single and, if I admitted it, hurt at the way Chad had treated me. It was like my very own personal type of revenge against the man I cared so much about.

That said man was sitting in the spot I'd vacated only a short time before. His eyes were wide with the shock of the sight before him, but I couldn't enjoy it for long. A shirt was thrown in my direction and nearly hit me in the face. Grabbing it, I glanced down to see it was a black shirt with the logo of World Under Blood on it. There was only one man who'd own a shirt like that.

“What the Hell, Der?” I asked, meeting the responsible party's angry gaze.

“Put the shirt on and cover yourself up for God's sake, Kay.” Deron snapped, his blue eyes flashing with an emotion I'd never seen on him before. It was almost like he was protective of me or something.

I got a good look at Deron without his shirt on and nearly blanched with disgust. Then I noticed his shirt was damp. “Ew!” I screamed without thought. I threw the shirt in some random direction and it landed directly in Jess' face.

“Fuck!” The tall Margera shouted tossing the shirt over his shoulder where it almost landed on Carina, who in turn, shrieked and ran off of the deck to the pool below.

Deron looked appalled at my reaction, but I couldn't help it. The last thing I needed was his sweaty ass shirt on my skin.

Later that night, once everyone had gotten over the shock of our suits, put some alcohol into our bodies and laughed about the events involving Deron's shirt, Bam got a bonfire roaring in the yard. With my cover up dress back in place, I sat on the soft grass with my sister beside me lying on her back staring up at the stars. Aimee and Jess' wife, Kelly, had retreated to the house to dig up marshmallows to toast on the fire leaving us with a group that included Bam, Jesse, Chad, Deron, Novak, Apple, Beth, Ryan Gee, photographer extraordinaire and his wife, Kim, Brandon Dicamillo and Captain Clubby and on top of all it, Rake Yohn. It'd been a while since I saw a group this large at Bam's hanging out all at once and it brought a small smile to my face. This was my family and I couldn't have been happier.

My thoughts were interrupted when my phone's ringtone sounded through the night. Without even looking at the ID, I put the phone to my ear. “Hello?”

“Kay?” A familiar voice greeted me. Christina didn't seem like herself, but then again, we'd been friends a long time and she betrayed us.

Glancing at my sister and deciding I didn't need an audience, I stood up and made my way towards the surrounding woods in order to listen better. “What do you want?”

My ex-friend took a deep breath and explained, “Did you get my text this morning?”

Shit. The text. “I got it, but I have to admit I wasn't interested in reading it.”

“I understand.” Christina said and it sounded like she meant it. “I just wanted to make sure you got it or if not, I told you anyway. I couldn't live with myself if your life was ruined because of some stupid lie.”

I wasn't sure if I liked where this was going. “Lie? What are you talking about?”

“Jaimie lied about what happened with Chad, Kay.” Christina sounded fierce as she spoke. “He passed out before anything could happen, not that it would because I don't think he's that kind of guy. Anyway, Jaimie didn't sleep with Chad. Nothing happened at all. She got him to her place in time for him to pass out. He drank so much that night and she made me keep it quiet.” She paused as if she were letting the force of what she was saying hit me.

“So he... he didn't fuck her?” I asked in a near whisper. “But he said-”

“Kay- he doesn't remember what happened. He blacked out.” Christina said forcibly. She was right of course. He had no idea what really happened that night. He knew just as much as I did. That was what Jaimie claimed had happened. “He isn't tainted, Kay.”

Her last sentence pulled a laugh from somewhere deep inside of my chest. He was still... He could still be mine. Only mine.

“Thank you, Tina.” I said happily, hoping I wouldn't cry. “Thank you so much.”

“I know we can't be friends anymore. I did a lot of unforgivable shit to you and Aimee. But I hope this at least redeems me a little.” Christina sighed before saying her goodbyes and leaving me in the dark to smile.