Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Tilt-a-Whirl

(Kay's POV)

“The bangs suit you.” Apple said from behind me. Before we'd left Kentucky, I had decided to chop off some of my long hair into thick bangs to cover my forehead and as I stared at my reflection in the bus' bathroom mirror, I had to admit that Apple was right. They really did suit my style.

“What are you guys wearing to the show?” Aimee called from the back of the vehicle. “I have no idea how to dress.”

I heard Apple laugh as she left the bathroom to no doubt get changed herself. A moment later Aimee appeared in her spot. She was carrying two different shirts in her hand while there wasn't one covering her.

“Put something on.” I told her with a shake of my head before I continued putting my eyeliner on.

“I'm trying! I don't know which one I want to wear more. I need help!” Holding up the images on the shirts so I could see them, she stared at me with worry in her eyes. “Help!”

One shirt had Metallica on it while the other, which was clearly Bam's, had a huge heartagram in the middle. I looked at both shirts for a few moments before pointing to the Metallica one. Aimee raised her eyebrow at me questioningly.

“It'll drive Deron nuts.” It was the only response I could give.

Ames grinned and left me alone to finish getting ready. Since half of this trip was going to be spent trying to get Chad to finally approach me in regards to a relationship, I was having a hard time deciding on what I would wear as well. Aimee had convinced me the night before to wear my G.G. shirt though I was tempted to keep it for a different occasion. So I had it tied in a belly shirt with a pair of frayed jean shorts and my high top sneakers. It was supposed to be a very hot day so instead of leaving my hair down like I really wanted to, I tossed it up into a crazy loose bun.

Once the group of us ladies were dressed, we made our way to the stage where the guys would be performing within the hour. Their set started at 6pm and ran for thirty minutes until they had to get off and let the next band set up. We were passing by the carnival rides, which we vowed to ride later that night, when Aimee noticed the food.

“Fried dough!” Clubby screamed before she took off towards the food truck. Aimee, seeing where her friend was heading, took off after her. It was clear that we were taking a detour.

Once everyone was loaded up with fried sugary goodness, we continued on our way to where the guys were probably wondering about us. We were one of the first groups of people to arrive so the attached women went to find their men while the rest of us, namely me, Beth and Carina, found our places for when the show started.

“Love the shirt.” Beth was saying to me though I wasn't really paying attention. I was watching out for Chad, but had yet to see him come out on stage.

“Thanks.” I muttered. Jess and Bam were setting up his drum kit with Aimee and Kelly close by talking to each other. Clubby and Dico were running around like crazy people and bothering those fans who had already set themselves up in front of the stage. Apple and Novak had literally disappeared somewhere. I didn't really want to think about what they were probably doing. Mark Hanna was helping Vern set up the bass to fit him for the set. Beth had convinced him the day before to cover bass for Matty J during the set. Chad was getting frustrated with the way Matty had been acting towards female fans and was looking to kick him out of the band for good. I didn't know what the issue with Vern had been all those years ago, but I was sure glad to see him and the other three on good terms at the moment. I wasn't sure if Vern remembered any of the old chords, but I hoped he did for CKY's sake.

Where was Deron and Ch-

“Don't tell me you're another G.G. fan?” Deron said from out of nowhere. Glancing behind me, I realized he had sneaked up on us while I'd been searching for Chad.

I looked at my shirt and shrugged.

“So Carina told me about your little plan.” Deron said as he stopped beside our group. Fixing me with a serious look, he looked like a big brother about to scold his little sister. “Don't do anything stupid, Kay. Let's just get through this without anyone getting hurt. Emotionally or physically.”

I glared at my little sister who actually looked apologetic for once in her life. “You told him?”

“It slipped out. I swear he was the only one I told.” Carina said with wide eyes. Then she turned those eyes on Deron and they slanted in anger at him. “I told him not to say anything.”

“Oops.” Deron said though it was clear he didn't care at all. “I guess I'm not the only one who can't keep a secret.”

I rolled my eyes and decided I needed away from the serial killer and my pesky little sister. They were going to drive me insane before the Gathering was finished. Walking to where Aimee stood with Kelly, my best friend noticed my approach.

“Deron pissing you off?” She guessed by my expression.

With a sharp nod in the idiot's direction, I said, “Please get him back during the set.”

Aimee saluted at me. “Aye aye, Captain.”

Clubby's voice appeared somewhere in the crowd to my right. “Did someone call me?”

I gave Ames a scolding look before taking back off in the opposite direction. I wasn't safe anywhere. I would be cornered by either Clubby, Carina or Deron. I wasn't sure how I was going to survive four days of this.

“How do you deal with Heather?”

The voice had me stopping short. I turned my attention in the direction it had come from and saw Chad approach me from opposite the stage. He was dressed in his usual garb: ripped jeans, a random t shirt (which said 'hanging with my peeps' with the picture of an actual marshmallow peep underneath) and his leather CIG jacket over the shirt. He gave me a half smile before stopping and putting his hands in his pockets.

“Aren't you hot in that?” I asked, waving to the damn coat. “It's nearly 100 degrees out.”

A smile spread across his lips at the question. “Are you worried about me?”

“A little.” I admitted with a wry expression. He was too much of an ass at times. “I don't want to have to save your ass from heatstroke.”

“Would you have to resuscitate me?” Chad said with a laugh.

I rolled my eyes at the joke, but laughed too. “Only if you're lucky.”

Chad's smile didn't fade as he watched me. “I like the shirt.”

“I know all about your G.G. obsession thanks to Deron and a multitude of CKY shows. No need to go into it.” It was nearly awkward with him considering the last time we'd spoken neither of us were happy with the other. I paused before asking the question I knew he had to be thinking as well. “Are we good?”

His grin softened as he watched me. “Yeah. We're good.”