Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Groupies and the Girls Who Will Save You

(Beth’s POV)

I watched as the groupies crawled all over Chad. These girls, and I mean girls, were wearing dresses and skirts so short that their asses were almost hanging out. Most of them were wearing high heels. How anyone could wear heels at the Gathering was beyond me! I looked at my own pink dress. I wore it because it was comfortable, not because I was trying to snag a musician. I paired my dress with brown combat boots that were comfortable and easy to make my way through the mud and trash left throughout the grounds of the festival site.

I never understood how girls could act like that or how men fell for it. It was evident that these girls didn’t care what musician they ended up under just as long as they ended up under one of them. These were the kind of girls who only knew CKY because of Bam. They probably thought he was in the band.

Girls like that used to make me feel insecure. When the crew started gaining fame, the guys were surrounded by groupies. We would go out to 15 North or another bar and they would be all over Chris. It wasn’t his fault, but it definitely added to the failure of our relationship. It made me feel insecure back then, but now it really didn’t bother me. I knew where I stood with Chris and I stopped worrying.

Kay on the other hand wasn’t at that point with Chad yet. If she saw this, it would just give her another reason not to trust him. It wasn’t that Chad was doing anything wrong, but it was Chad. He flirted with any girl who would stroke his ego. I never liked the way he led girls on, but it was part of who he was.

I looked at Carina who was standing next to me. Kay and Clubby were off probably looking for someone to torture. Clubby was wearing her Batman costume and Kay was babysitting her. Carina returned my look to let me know that she was thinking the same thing I was. We moved towards Chad and the girls that had gathered around him.

Carina locked her arm with Chad's and kissed his cheek. “There you are, honey! I’ve been looking everywhere for you. I was worried I had lost my husband.”

The groupies gave us an annoyed look, but many of them had started to walk away sensing that they wouldn’t get anywhere with Chad now. A few stayed behind hoping that Carina and I would go away, but they gave up as we started to walk away, pulling the guitarist with us.

“What the fuck was that?” Chad snapped.

“Just us saving your ass!” I countered.

“What do you mean?”

“You are such an idiot sometimes! What would Kay have thought if she saw all those girls hang all over you?”

“I wasn’t doing anything.” He stated, looking unsure of himself.

“You know that and I know that, but Kay wouldn’t have saw it that way.”

“I’m not going to change who I am. I want to be with her, but I’m not sacrificing my own fucking identity.” Chad was getting angry again which increased my own anger towards him.

“I’m not saying you have to change who you are or sacrifice your fucking identity, but think about someone else other than yourself for once!”

I don’t think that I’ve ever been this angry at any of the crew. Chad didn’t say anything back. I could tell that he was angry by the look in his eyes. Carina looked between us. In past couple of months, she had become part of the crew but she didn’t have the history that the rest of us had. I started walking away. I couldn’t even look at Chad anymore. Chad jogged to catch up to me and grabbed my arm to turn me around to look at him.

“I get what you’re saying.” He said sincerely.

I nodded my head, but keep on walking. I just wanted to get back to our camp and forget this happened.