Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Giving In

(Kay's POV)

I couldn't believe it was the last day of the Gathering of the Juggalos. Since we'd spent the majority of our time in smaller groups exploring and hanging out, Bam thought it would be better if we were together to watch ICP. I agreed even though it meant Chad and I would have to spend time in the same place together.

Most of the afternoon was spent either grilling, watching random musical acts or, in the case of the guys, smoking. It turned out to be a very relaxing day until Chad decided he'd had enough of my reserved responses to everything he said. I was only trying to avoid an argument. He took me by the arm and led me around the back of the bus so our friends wouldn't overhear what he had to say to me.

“Chad?” It's all I could get out before he started his rant.

“I get why you're ignoring me. I really do and I guess I must admit that you have every right to do so. I acted like a dick during everything with Jaimie and I had no reason to kiss you all those months ago when you were with another guy. For those reasons, I apologize. But I won't apologize for the kiss itself.” Chad paused to take a breath.

“Chad?”

“Kay- let me finish.”

“Chad!” I snapped at him in order to cut him off before he started another monologue. “Shut up.”

He raised his eyebrows at my command and then opened his mouth to no doubt give me a piece of his mind. So I did the only thing I could. I kissed him.

It wasn't quite like the kiss from all those months ago since I was expecting it. I guess that made it all the better for me, but Chad, on the other hand, hadn't been ready for it. My hands found their way to his neck and I pulled him closer to me. He responded almost automatically as if it were second nature to him. His hands wrapped around my waist and he held on as if he were a dying man. The shock from the first touch of my lips wore off and he was kissing me back.

We stood in that embrace for what felt like a lifetime when someone nearby cleared their throat. Remembering where we were, I pulled back from his mouth, but his arms refused to leave my waist. Both of us turned our attention to those standing near the front of the bus, however.

Aimee stood there with something close to excitement in her eyes, but it was obvious that she didn't want to appear so. Bam stood beside her with his arm around her shoulders. His face displayed his amusement at what he caught us doing. Behind the Jackass couple was a whole group of others: Carina, Deron, Clubby and Beth who were clearly being herded by Bam and Ames to some unknown destination. The only ones without shock on their faces was my sister and Beth.

“It's about time.” Carina said with a laugh as she appraised our situation. “I was wondering how much longer it was going to take before I had to lock the two of you in a room together.”

I felt a giggle work its way up my throat, but bit my lip to keep it from coming out. Deron stared at the back of Car's head for a moment as if he couldn't believe the words that came from her. Then with a shake of his head and a look of disgust, he turned away and headed back around the bus. Beth, with a grin, followed Deron, but didn't speak. Clubby, however, wasn't prone to silence.

“What is going on?” She asked, looking between Chad and me before tapping Ames on the shoulder. “Did I miss something?”

Aimee rolled her eyes and turned to our insane friend. “Let's go, Heather.”

Grabbing the pirate by the arm, Ames dragged her away while Clubby kept asking questions. Bam followed after giving us a wink. I rolled my own eyes before meeting Chad's.

Chad seemed in shock at what had transpired. “What was that about? Aren't you still mad at me?”

I shook my head and bit my lip, not sure how to tell him the truth. “I found something out.”

“What?”

“Jaimie lied about the two of you. You never slept with her.”

Chad's eyebrows lifted in surprise. “How do you know this?”

“Christina told me. She wanted to make amends for everything and that was the only way she knew how.”

Chad smiled down at me and I felt a chill go through my body.

“So Mr. Ginsburg, what the hell are we?” I asked with a half smile knowing full well what I wanted us to be.

Chad shrugged and I wanted to hit him. “What do you think we are?”

I tried to pull away as if his question irritated me, but the man had a death grip on my hips. “Chad...”

The man in question leaned down so our foreheads touched, but I could still read the expression on his face. What I saw there made my mouth go dry. He was looking at me with such tenderness I almost threw myself into another kiss.

“I know what we are, Kay.” Chad whispered as he stared into my eyes. “I want to be with you and that's enough for me.”

I didn't have a response to that so I did the only thing I knew he'd understand. I kissed him.