Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Rematch

(Kay's POV)

I grabbed the carton of coffee ice cream and set it on the counter beside the vanilla. Aimee was already digging the blender out of the cabinets. The summer had started to wind down and we were celebrating the last of the warm days with a Wongster. The drink was literally just a mixture of coffee and vanilla ice creams, milk and Bailey's liquor in a milkshake. The drink had been invented when Megan was in college in NYC years ago. Aimee, Christina and I had gone to visit her one weekend and ended up creating this drink out of the things Megan had on hand. It had been one of the best things I'd ever tasted and we ended up drinking the whole batch in one sitting. The drink was dubbed “Wongster” in honor of Megan.

The blender was going when Bam, Chad and Chris Raab walked into the kitchen. I didn't pay them a second glance, but Aimee must have because despite the loud sounds of the blender, I could still hear her.

“What the hell is going on?”

Glancing over my shoulder, I noticed that all three men were dressed head to toe in camouflage. It wasn't just the jacket and pants either. They had boots, gloves and even beanies on their heads that matched. I now understood why Aimee had questioned them. I switched off the blender so I could hear the conversation better.

With a shake of her head, Aimee must have come to a conclusion. “Paintball war?”

Out of the three men standing in the kitchen with us, it was my boyfriend who decided to speak. He had stepped up to the island separating us from them and placed his paintball gun down on it. Once his hands were free, he pointed at me.

“I want a rematch.” He said without hesitation.

I stared at him.

“What?” Aimee asked when I didn't respond. “Rematch for what?”

Chad glanced at her as he answered her question. “Kay hit me with a paintball during our last game. I want my revenge.”

Thinking this was a joke, I turned to Bam and Raab, both who shrugged. I guess not.

“We're making alcoholic drinks, babe.” I told my boyfriend. His dark eyes were on me once more. “Can it wait?”

Chad glanced at the blender and then back to me. “Not really.”

With a sigh, I grabbed the blender and poured five cups of Wongsters. Aimee passed them to the guys while I pulled out my cell phone.

“Who are you calling?” Chad asked, suspiciously.

With a pointed glare in my boyfriend's direction, I said, “Backup. I'm not facing the three of you one man short.”

***

Jimmy ran past me and into the bushes at the edge of the property. I shook my head as he let out a whoop. I didn't know if he was trying to attract the others to where he was to take them out or to distract them, but I was going to take advantage of it nonetheless. Crouching behind one of the taller bushes, I lifted my gun onto my shoulder and waited. Aimee had taken off into the woods after Raab nearly hit her. I hadn't seen or heard from her in the last fifteen minutes so I wasn't sure if she was out or if she'd gotten Raab back.

Taking short breaths, I nearly stopped breathing when Bam came into my focus. Lining up my shot, I waited as he walked where Jimmy had left only a minute before. Once he was close enough, I put my finger on the trigger.

Thwack.

Dropping the gun at the impact, I spun to find Chad's brown eyes mocking me from under his beanie. My back throbbed where the paintball had hit me and I knew there was going to be one hell of a bruise there in the morning.

“Asshole!” I shouted at him. I could hear Bam's laugh somewhere behind me and although I wanted to punch him in the mouth to shut him up, I was more focused on my boyfriend. “That hurt!”

“Now you know how it feels.” He said with a smirk. “Can we have a truce now?”

Furious, I tackled Chad to the ground. He lost the grip on his gun and it went flying into the bushes. He laughed the entire time I struggled to hit him. When he grabbed my hands in his, I stopped fighting long enough to stare at him.

“Are you done?” He asked with a cocky smile. He clearly thought this was a game.

“Not even close.” I made a move to pull my hands from him when he kissed me. The feel of his lips on mine stilled any movement on my part. He knew a kiss was the only thing to calm me down at this point and I allowed it.

Mostly because I didn't want to stop kissing him.