Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Getting Serious

(Kay's POV)

Pulling my Ford Focus into the driveway of Chad's house, I killed the engine and sat in the silence around me for a minute or so. The facade of the large mountain home was dark due to the trees surrounding it. Chad's Chevy Traverse sat quiet next to my car. No lights were on inside of the house which lead me to the conclusion that my boyfriend was still asleep.

Grabbing the overnight bag out of the backseat, I made my way through the muggy late August air towards the front door. Once I cleared the threshold and placed the bag near the door, I continued farther into the silent house. Walking through the arch that led into the living room, I paused as my brain took in the sight before me.

My boyfriend was sleeping on his leather couch. It was clear by the way he was positioned that he had dropped there the night before to wait for me to come home from Kelly's bachelorette party. With a small grin, I grabbed the blanket off of the chair and draped it over his sleeping form. He didn't even move.

Deciding I'd make him breakfast since he so clearly worried about me getting home alright, I headed for the kitchen. It wasn't hard to find the things I'd bought a week before. Eggs, bacon and toast were cooking within ten minutes of entering the room.

I flipped the eggs when I heard a shuffle behind me. Glancing over my shoulder, I saw Chad standing in the doorway to the kitchen with eyes still puffy from sleeping. Either at seeing me or the breakfast I was cooking, Chad grinned.

“I didn't hear you come in.” Chad said walking farther into the room. “What time did you get here?”

Turning back to the work I was doing, I smiled. “About fifteen minutes ago. You were sleeping like a baby and I didn't want to wake you. In case you're wondering, Kelly's bachelorette party was killer.”

“Good.” His arms wrapped securely around my waist. I could smell the day old whiskey and cigarette smoke from his shirt. The scent had become so familiar that it was soothing. Chad's chin rested on my shoulder as he watched me cook our food.

“You wanna know something?” He asked me, his breath tickling my ear as he spoke.

“What?”

“I could get used to waking up to your cooking permanently.” Chad's stubble scratched my cheek as he smiled.

The statement made me laugh out loud. “Really? I feel so special.”

“You're an excellent cook.” He growled out before kissing my neck. “What do you say?”

Switching the burners off so the food wouldn't burn, I turned in his arms so I could meet his gaze. I wrapped my arms around his neck and smiled up at him. “You know my answer to that, Chad.”

He groaned, but didn't pull away.

“Carina just moved down babe. Let's wait it out until May and then if you are still willing to let me live here with you, then we'll talk.” I told him before placing a quick kiss on his lips.

“But May is so far away...”

I pulled away to serve breakfast. Grabbing the plates, I walked to the small table in the kitchen where we usually ate our meals. The dining room was just too big for the two of us. Setting the plates down, I turned back around to see Chad standing in the spot I left him.

“What?” I asked at his downtrodden expression.

“This sucks.” He said with a pout on his lips. The sight almost sent me into giggles, but I managed to hold them back.

“You look like a child.” I told him with a smirk. “It'll go by faster than you think.”

“I'd rather have you closer sooner than that.” Chad took a few steps to close the distance between us. He wrapped his arms around my waist again and pulled me close to him. “Like this.”

I tried to look annoyed, but I couldn't with him. The smile appeared before I could stop it. “We're not eating breakfast this morning, are we?”

“I've had a lonely night. I need to get reacquainted with my girlfriend.” He said before leaning in to kiss my neck slowly.

“Now?” I squeaked out.

His answer was to chuckle.