Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Holding on Tight

(Chris’ POV)

I sat in bed watching Beth brush her teeth at the bathroom sink. Things had really changed between us in the last few weeks. Actually, change wasn’t the right word. It hadn’t changed. It was the way it had been before we broke up. It was different though at the same time. We're the same people we were back then, but now we were more mature. Instead of being someone she had to babysit, I could actually be the partner Beth deserved and needed.

I looked up as Beth was walking to the bed. She was wearing her normal night clothes: shorts and an old t-shirt. Tonight it was an old cKy shirt. I loved her in these old clothes. I understood that most men wouldn’t find her sexy in her old baggy clothing, but I did. Beth looked the sexiest when she was comfortable and at ease.

“A penny for your thoughts?” Beth asked, awakening me from my own thoughts.

“I was just thinking of the past.”

“Why think about the past? We can’t change it. I wouldn’t want to either.”

“Really? If you could, you wouldn’t want to go back all those years and work it out between us?”

“This might sound bad, but no I wouldn’t. We wouldn’t be the people we are today if we hadn’t gone through everything we had. I truly believe that to get to this point we had break up back then.”

Beth was right. It was one of the things I loved and hated about her at the same time. She was almost always right. She had this uncanny way of telling it like it is and was able to read people better than most of them could read themselves. It especially drove Chad crazy. He had a tendency to be on the end of her useful advice more than any of our other friends.

Speaking of Chad…

“Have you talked to Kay recently?” Beth's voice broke through my thoughts.

“I talked to her the other day. Why?”

“You should talk to her about moving in with Chad.”

“Beth…”

Beth cut me off, “She doesn’t listen to me. You know how she is and Chad is just as bad.”

“Stay out of other people’s business.”

“I just want our friends to be happy. Is that wrong?”

“No it isn’t, but I’m afraid of what Kay will do to you if you keep on bugging her about Chad. Or vice versa.”

Beth sat in bed pouting. I loved how much she cared about our friends. She sometimes came off as noisy and bossy, but her meddling always came from how much she cared. She was the kind of women you didn’t let go. You held onto her with both hands as tightly as you could.

“I want to marry you, Beth. I know we're moving fast. I mean- I just moved in with you, but I know you’re the person I want to spend the rest of my life with.”

“Are you asking me to marry you? It sounded more like a demand than a question.” She replied with a smirk.

“I’m asking you, but if you don’t give me the answer I want I might just have to make you.” I said, teasing her back.

“I want to marry you too, Christian Raab.”

I smiled at Beth. “I love you.”

“I love you too even if you used to shit on camera.”

We laughed. It was funny remembering the old days. A lot of girls would be grossed out by the shit I had done in the past, but Beth was not. She didn’t necessarily like it, but she could laugh about it. I loved that about her. Beth started kissing the side of my face.

I turned to her and she said, “Let’s stop talking about the past tonight.”

She kissed me on the lips as I pulled her down on top of me.