Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

First Mate

(Beth's POV)

“Hey babe! Come into the kitchen.” Chris yelled at me.

Even though it was 12:30 in the afternoon, I was just getting up. I had worked the closing shift at The Note last night and was still feeling dead on my feet. I had been considering leaving The Note for quite some time now. It was an ok job for someone in their 20’s, but I had recently entered my 30’s. It was hard to have a normal life with Chris and our friends when I was always working at night. Our friends would show up at my work, but it wasn’t the same. Kay or Aimee would text me to hang out and I would normally be sleeping or getting ready for work. Then there was Chris. He has always been great about my job, but there were many nights that he went to bed alone.

“Babe! Come here!”

I walked into the kitchen. “What’s wrong, hun?”

“I just got a call from Dico. He and Clubby need to be bailed out at the county courthouse.”

“What? What did they do this time?”

“I don’t know. They want us both to come though.”

“Let me go get changed quick.”

I ran to our room. I threw on a simple white dress and black tights. I also wore a pair of black heels. I figured that I should dress nicely. When it came to Clubby and Dico, it was best to prepare to persuade whoever we needed to in order to get them out of trouble. Once I was dressed, we jumped in Chris’ car as fast as we could and rushed to the courthouse. As soon as we got there, Chris parked and we ran up the stairs. When we reached the top, we stopped dead in our tracks. The two people who we were rushing to save were standing there in front of us wearing pirate costumes.

“What the hell are you two doing?” I screamed, unable to believe what I was seeing.

“Arg! We're tying the knot, we are!” Dico yelled at us.

“We need you to be our first mates!” Clubby added, nodding like a crazy.

Chris and I shared a look before following Dico and Clubby into the courthouse. We witnessed their elopement and signed the paperwork they needed us to in order to make it official. I can’t believe the judge even let them get married the way they were dressed. I personally believed that the man just wanted to get the pirate couple out of there as quickly as possible.

Walking out the courthouse and into the sun, I watched from the top of the stairs as the two pirates walked away hand in hand.

I turned to Chris. “I can’t believe I wore white on her wedding day.”

Chris looked at me. “At least someone did.”

We laughed before descending the stairs. What an odd and perfect day it had been.