Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

A Nice Pub; A New Hair Style

(Kay’s POV)

Chad turned out to be the least of my problems that day. After the mall and then our spa appointment, we apparently had to go out of our way to hit up Duffer’s Pub per Clubby’s request. She wanted to show off her new pirate hair and thought a pub was the perfect spot to do this in.

As soon as we’d entered the Irish decorated pub, Clubby made a beeline for the wraparound bar. The bartender took one look at the girl before she turned around and headed for the opposite end of the pub. Guess we weren’t the only ones wanting to get away from the pirate.

Slamming her hands on the bar top, Clubby scanned the pub’s other patrons as if she were looking for someone. Suddenly, her expression brightened when she found something she liked. “Aha!” She shouted, putting up a finger into the air as if she’d had an idea. “Who would like to buy Captain Clubby Sparrow a tankard of rum?”

I glanced around at the people who stared at her. I don’t think any of them were expecting a New Yorker dressed like a pirate.

The hostess appeared beside us with a pile of menus in her hand. “Do you know her?”

Aimee, smiling at the hostess, shook her head. “Nope. Have a booth for us?”

“Yup. Right this way please.”

The group of us that were left made our way to the available booth. I slid in between Amid and Jaimie while Eva and Kelly surrounded Aimee on the opposite side. X-tina and Meg decided that though they didn’t want to be around Heather in her pirate garb, still decided they weren’t normal enough to sit with the rest of us. They sat at a small table across the walkway from our booth.

The hostess placed our menus and then left us in peace. A shout erupted from the bar and we all looked in its direction as one being. Someone had gotten the nerve to buy Clubby her rum and she was sloshing the alcohol all over the bar while she gestured with the glass. From what was heard from the safety of our booth, it was almost like she was telling everyone around her a story. Some people even looked amused.

Shaking my head, I met Aimee’s gaze from where she sat across from me. “Where did you find this one?”

“Try living with her for as long as I have than talk to me about Heather and her antics.” Aimee put her head in her hands as another shout came from the bar. This time it wasn’t only Heather who had cheered. People were starting to join her… I was beginning to fear for my life.

“What are they doing?” Amid asked as he caught sight of the group surrounding the pirate girl. “Don’t they realize they’re only encouraging her?”

Jaimie snorted in laughter when Clubby lifted her glass to her mouth, but completely missed it and rum went down the front of her shirt. “I’m pretty sure they know it.”

“They’re even buying her drinks.” Eva chimed in as she looked on. “How does she do it?”

“They probably think she’s some crazy friend of Bam’s coming to town for a visit.” I mentioned in passing. Aimee gave me a look that told me to shut up about him, but it was too late. The damage had already been done. Biting my lip, I waited for someone to say something else.

Jaimie had to be the one to speak first. “Speaking of Bam, does lover boy know you’re in town yet?”

Aimee looked irritated, but she wasn’t rude. She answered Jaimie’s question though it was clear she didn’t want to speak about him. “No. We met once. It’s not like we’re best friends.”

“Buying you tons of drinks on the one night you were down here a few weeks ago equates friendship.” Jaimie said with a smirk. “Or possibly more.”

“Did you just wink?” Amid asked as he stared at Jaimie across me.

“It was supposed to be subtle.” Jaimie assured him with an innocent smile. I rolled my eyes at it. She was far from innocent and everyone at that table knew it.

“You need a lesson on how to be subtle.” Kelly interjected. It was the first thing she’d said since we arrived. She seemed to be getting annoyed and I wasn’t entirely sure if it was at Jaimie, Clubby, a mixture of them or something else entirely. “Where the hell is the waitress?”

As if she’d heard Kelly’s inquiry, a young blonde waitress appeared at the booth a moment later, but her hands weren’t empty. There was a tall shot glass of some yellow liquid in it. She set it in front of Aimee before pulling out her notepad to take our orders.

“Hi! My name is Bree. What can I get for you tonight?” The perky blonde asked as she glanced at the six of us one at a time.

Aimee let her eyes drift from the shot glass in front of her to Bree. “What the fuck is this?”

Bree seemed slightly taken back by Aimee’s bluntness. Guess she didn’t get much of that on a daily basis. “Umm… well that is from the girl at the bar.”

“Girl?” Amid snickered beneath his hand. “Got a secret admirer?”

Aimee ignored him and asked Bree another question… one we all knew the answer to. “Is it from the pirate?”

Bree glanced over her shoulder towards the bar where Clubby sat with her new ‘friends’. She raised a new glass of liquor up to us in greeting before chugging it. The waitress turned back to us and smiled. “Why yes it is. How’d you guess?”

“Let’s just call it intuition.” Aimee muttered before she gave her food order. Once the girl left, Ames took her shot before saying anything else. “I don’t know what Heather is doing, but I don’t like it.”

“Looks like she’s trying to get you wasted so she can take you back and have her way with you.” Jaimie said with a laugh.

The comment didn’t amuse Aimee, but Jaimie didn’t even notice that she hadn’t responded. Instead she started talking to Eva about places she was thinking about moving into if they panned out for her. Less than ten minutes later, Bree was back with a tray full of different colored shots. She placed the tray down in front of Ames with a smile.

“Compliments of the group at the bar. Happy birthday!”

Bree disappeared after that and Aimee was given a full view of the bar. Clubby and those around her lifted their glasses in salute to the birthday girl.

“Oh my God.” Kelly muttered at the sight. “Are they going to do this all night?”

Aimee sighed and pushed the tray towards the middle of the table. “If so, then you guys are going to be drinking a lot of shots. There is no way I’m doing all of these by myself.”

Jaimie didn’t need another invitation. She reached over, grabbed the closest shot to her and downed it. “It’s going to be a long night then. Drink up!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading!