Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Good-bye New Yorker

(Aimee's POV)

My arms crossed my body as I stared between my last cardboard box, and my poor car. It had been though so much in a month's time and I felt so sad for it. Not only had it been horribly decorated by Heather as a Batmobile wanna-be, but it had to endure a trip to West Chester and back and a million stops on the way. Now it was about to be taken hours away again, only this time it would only be a one way trip. Sadly I didn't know know how my car was going to like the commute to work everyday once the store opened, but that was a worry for another day. Today I had to worry about getting my last box into the car somehow so I would have dishes to eat off of. Yes I had packed everything else first including my guitar stuff, but they were necessities.

Re-opening the trunk, I shifted a couple boxes and created a small amount of room. Perfect for the small duffel bag of shoes I had in the front of the car. Relocating it to the trunk, I did the same in the backseat until I managed to get my final box into the Pennsylvania bound car. I felt completely victorious until I looked down. My tote of blankets and pillows seemed to be mocking me as it sat on the driveway. Damn it!!

Simply throwing the tote in the front seat, I looked at my car once more. “I AM CANNIBAL!” My car looked like it belonged to a homeless person. “I AM … I AM CANNIBAL!” Heather's voice screamed along to the Ke$ha song she blared from some older SUV. “Hey roomie!” Heather waved slightly as I looked back at the 90's Ford Explorer. I knew she was getting a car since I was taking mine with me, just didn't know she had found one. It was a greenish color and would have noted more but I could only watch as Heather started bringing duffel bag after duffel bag down and placed it into the back of the big SUV. Without a word to me, she started heading back up to the apartment.

Shaking my head, I started checking the air pressure in all four of the Mercedes' tires. Understanding Heather was impossible. Instead the best thing to do is anticipate the worst. Turning over the car's engine, I saw Heather book it out of the apartment and down the outside stairs. Had told her many times that the fire escapes were for fires …

“WAIT!” tossing an actual box of shit down, Heather caught her breath and held up a finger at me. “Hang … hang on ...”

With a sigh I plugged my iPod into the stereo and allowed GWAR to start playing. “Why, what is that Heather?”

“I need to borrow your GPS.” she took a long breath in and exhaled in a dramatic manner as 'Have You Seen Me' started playing out of my car's speakers. Was eery how it lined up to Heather's actions. “Doing to Dico's house for a couple days.”

She needed this much shit for a couple- wait forgot who I was talking to. “Just follow me down to West Chester and-” Shaking my head I looked at the box in her arms again. “You have more to pack, huh?”

Nodding her head, I caved and dug into my glovebox. Thank god I had a GPS on my cell phone as a backup. “Thanks! Will I be seeing you this week?”

“Don't know Heather, I have a lot of unpacking to do.” giving me puppy eyes, Heather made me promise to hang out at least one before she left. “Text me when you get there.”

About two hours into the long drive, I began losing sanity. Sure I could make this trip with only one stop, but not when I was alone. It's different when you have people in the car distracting you from counting the minutes until you arrived. Had a feeling I was getting to the new apartment and passing out. The iPod was on shuffle yet I had been skipping songs more than listening to them. As the songs changed, so did my thoughts. I was moving to a completely different state where none of my friends were within a ten minute drive. That alone was alien to me. I always had at least one of them right there and I wouldn't have that until Jaimie moved down a week or two later.

Even though the song was almost over, I skipped the end of 'Deepest Depths' by CKY and now found HIM's 'Under the Rose' playing through the speakers. It dragged me back to when I had been dating this guy who pretty much belittled me yet I constantly went back to him. The relationship had continued on like that for years, yet I let it keep happening and we even were engaged at one point. Although I wasn't normally one to change a song while the one and only Ville Valo sung, I hit the next button like my life depended on it. One of Ten Year Vamp's original songs started playing which put me at ease. I had first heard of them after Kay moved up to Albany. I was still in school in New York City and loved their sound. New York City was great but didn't feel like home at all. Not even Albany felt like home but it was close.

This was going to have to be a new start.

Passing into Pennsylvania, I promised myself that from that point on I was a brand new person. No more thinking on my past. But it did make me wonder what was going to be happening in this new life. “I am Aimee McCluskley” I spoke to no one but myself “And I am from Pennsylvania.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I like to think every New Yorker dreams of this moment ... when you can say you are from a different state.