Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Unpacking

(Aimee's POV)

I reached the apartment at about five o'clock at night and all I could think about was taking a shower and passing out. Then I remembered all my stuff was packed into my car still. Unlocking the unique stained glass door, I walked into the apartment and walked around. Immediately I found myself standing in the medium sized living room. Right off of that, was the kitchen and small eating area. A small office area was off the other side of the living room and just past the kitchen was a hallway leading to the bathroom and my bedroom. Taking the place in a bit, I headed back out to get everything in before I became to lazy to get everything done.

It seemed to take forever, but my poor car became empty as my living room became full of boxes and totes. Locating the one with my bedding in it, I began dragging it back to the bedroom. The white sheets with black filigree all over them fit perfectly on the full size bed the room held. They were my old sheets from college and-

I had promised myself no more memory searching. I wanted to make a new start, not surf my memories like I was. Playing some music on my cell phone seemed to help. Soon I had a perfectly made bed, my clothes where all hanging in the closet, and my guitar boxes where moved into the office. With my momentum building, I even managed to load the kitchen with the dishes I almost didn't fit into the car. It was the fastest I had ever unpacked. Moving onto the towels and bathroom box, I was cut off my a knocking on the door.

Approaching the door, I cautiously looked through the only clear glass to see a man in all brown place something on the ground then walk away. The man climbed into a flower truck, putting me at ease about the situation. Mysterious men coming to the door in New York was never a good thing. Least not in the City.

Potted pink lilies. They were beautiful, even though I gave it a couple weeks til they were dead. I so didn't have a green thumb. A small card was placed between the stems. Opening I read a small thank you card from Todd for relocating. It was a nice gesture and the plant looked perfect on the kitchen counter.

Only the rumbling of my stomach could ruin the moment. And I had no food in the place yet! This was a problem that had to be solved.

Ordering food would have held me over until the morning, but for whatever reason I wanted macaroni and cheese with hotdogs in it. So a trip to the grocery store was going to be in order. Thankfully the ACME grocery store security guard hadn't recognized me from the previous weekend. Had to admit they were more alert that last time also. Couldn't imagine why.

Strolling the isles, I grabbed enough food to last me most of the week. It was weird shopping for only one person though. For years I had to shop for both myself and Heather and this was going to take some adjusting. Chirping, my cellphone caused me to nearly drop the chicken tenders I was looking at. I see you the message was from Heather. She wasn't allowed back in the market so I highly doubted it was true. Sorry it was the neighbors house. Rolling my eyes, I placed the food into my cart and headed instantly over to the beer section. Was going to need it if Heather was seriously spying on my apartment. Now I am seeing you Creep … the girl was a creep. Why is is dark in ur apartment? Where are u! My poor cell phone dropped to the floor, the phone and case going in one direction, the battery and back cover going across the whole isle.

At that moment I had decided cooking was out of the question. Instead I bought just enough to get me though the next few mornings and headed right for the check-out line. It wasn't too long before I was parked in my spot and walking up to my front door. “AMES! I missed you!” Heather shot out quickly while running for me.

“You saw me this morning!” instinctively rubbing my temple with one hand, I carried the bags with the other. “So how was that Lemoncello place?”

Seeing her face light up with a smile that wasn't telling of evil planning, I watched as Heather started getting all happy. “It was amazing that night.” retelling me the story of her date with Dico as I put the small amount of groceries away I waited for her to finish. “Then afterwards we went on a ride to use up Bam's gas- mean to enjoy the night sky.”

Nodding I picked my keys back up which had my apartment key on it as well. “Was talking about how their food was.” locking the door behind us, we started the trip up the road into the main part of the town. Being in walking distance to little shops and cafes was something I couldn't wait to enjoy.

“Oh, it's not bad. Think the guys are eating at Kildaire's though. I was suppose to just come down and drag you up.” Slowing her walking speed, she rolled her eyes before catching up. “Wasn't suppose to tell you that but whatever.”