Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Iced

(Kay's POV)

Aimee and Heather had left for Bam's less than a half hour before and yet I still sat on my bed staring at my closet. I had no idea what to wear on this date with Josh. It had been unexpected. He had called me up the night before asking if we could meet up. I immediately agreed, but as I mulled over what our plans were, I was worried. Josh lived an hour out of West Chester in Philadelphia and though I'd been to the city a few times in my life, I still didn't know the place as well as I'd have liked.

My phone rang pulling me out of my thoughts. Glancing down at the Iphone, I sighed when I saw the caller. This was it.

“Hello?”

“Hey Kay- Are you ready?” Josh's voice greeted me. “I'm outside waiting.”

“Yeah. I'll be out in a minute.” Ending the call, I checked my appearance. I still wore the skinny jeans I'd slept the night before in. My green “Kiss me, I'm Irish” t-shirt was wrinkled beyond repair and my hair wasn't straightened like I'd plan to. My natural waves were showing and it irritated me.

Too late to change now.

Grumbling, I reached for my parka and pulled it on over my clothes. I put a pair of gloves on my hands then a beanie over my hair. At least it would tamp down the mass of frizzy waves that had appeared. Pulling on a pair of fuzzy winter boots, I grabbed my keys and headed out of the apartment to the car idling in the parking lot.

I climbed into the passenger seat and glanced over at the man driving. He looked amazing as usual. His hair had been spiked in that perfect way he did it. A pea coat covered whatever he wore underneath, but I could see those nice designer jeans he seemed fond of were a part of the outfit. He wore hiking boots and a scarf was tied around his neck. His dark eyes glanced over my appearance. A moment later, his eyebrows raised up in question, but he didn't say anything. Instead, he smiled.

“Hey there.”

I couldn't help myself. Despite my outward appearance, my heart melted into a puddle at his smirk. “Hey.”

His eyes found the beanie on my head and his smile faltered a little. It wasn't enough to take the smile from his face, but I still noticed it. Josh's natural grin reached his eyes. This one didn't.

Confused, I glanced into the mirror on the visor. CKY was displayed right in front in big red letters. “What?”

“It's nothing. Are you ready for ice skating?”

Putting on a brave face, I nodded. I hadn't been ice skating since I was a kid and was absolutely terrified.

Not that I would ever let Josh know that.

***

“You've done this before... haven't you?” Josh asked as we slowly came out onto the rink. It was opening weekend for the ice rink and many people were already skating around as if summer was nothing but a distant memory.

Forcing a fake smile onto my face, I looked at him impatiently. “Of course I have.”

“Then do you mind letting go of my arm?” He asked gently, though he seemed slightly annoyed.

Gritting my teeth against my anger, I balanced myself and then took a deep breath. I was steady and felt a smile pull at my lips. I was doing it.

“Once you figure out what you're doing, meet me out on the rink, ok?” Josh said before skating away towards the center. I stared after him like an idiot.

What?

I moved my feet enough that it caught onto the ice and I slid forward. Throwing up my hands to balance, I felt the movement make me wobble more than I'd have liked. Before I knew what was happening, my feet flew out from beneath me sending my ass to the ice. Landing hard, my breath was taken away as the pain of the cold ice shot up my back.

Away in the middle of the rink, Josh was doubled over with laughter at the sight of me on my ass.

Shooting daggers at him, I felt like a fool. Some date this was.