Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Cake

(Aimee's POV)

I had been at Bam's for a few days or so and had felt comfortable enough to bake up a storm. Checking my e-mail on my cell phone, I looked over at the oven and stared at the timer. There was only a few minutes left which gave me enough time to finish the last e-mail I had to respond to for work. Telling Todd My ideas for the grand opening, I had to stop midway when the oven started beeping insanely.

Turning the beeping off, I heard someone running down the flight of stairs leading into the kitchen. “What are you making?” a voice question in a manner that let me know there was no cameras around, no friends lurking in the house, and no reason for Bam to act like Bam. Instead he spoke normally as his blue eyes zeroed in on the oven as I opened the door and the smell of banana bread filled the kitchen.

The bread landed onto a cooling rack as I placed the next treat into the oven. Sealing the chocolate cake in the oven, I turned to see Bam already attempting to cut into the bread. “HOT!!!!”

Giggling, I pointed towards the sink and ran his burn fingers under cold water. “Usually when things come out of an oven, they are still hot.”

I set the timer again for the cake batter and quickly finished the e-mail as Bam made a second attempt at the bread. “So what is your plans for today?”

“Waiting for Kay to bring me clothes.” I admitted while pressing send. Was officially done working for the day. “Unless you don't mind checking out the Mercedes with me.”

Nodding his head he pointed down at the bread “Just help me get a slice of this out.”

The Hummer pulled into the parking lot at the store and my poor car looked pathetic sitting there. “My poor car!” I nearly jumped from the moving tank to run towards it. Looking down at the tire, I wondered how fast I could get the spare on and get it to the shop. “My keys!”

Running past Bam and climbing into the Hummer to grab my bag, I began searching as I heard Bam dialing on his phone. Walking back I couldn't figure out why he was staring at the other back tire. The spare was clearly on the other side! “Hi, I need a car towed in for four new tires and for everything to be checked on it.” He paused as someone else spoke and pointed at the 'good' tire. Looking myself, I felt a flow of horror in my vains. Then anger.

My tire hadn't blown out on it's own. It was cut. Just like the other tires. “I think Tammy had made a visit that morning too.” Hanging up his phone Bam placed it in his pocket. I couldn't even speak. “Let's not talk about it anymore.” I felt my semi-nub body being pulled into a hug before I could truly register what was going on. I didn't even realize that my arms had pulled him closer as thoughts rushed though my mind. What would have happened if one or more tires had gone while I was on the highway? “Let's go get some lunch.”

After lunch, we ended up just walking around for hours in the mall. “You need clothes.”

Laughing, I attempted to figure out where he came up with that conclusion. “Kay is bringing me stuff though.”

“I want to buy you an outfit.” Grabbing my hand, he dragged me into one of the stores.

Carrying bags in from random stores, both of us looked on the couch and laughed. Jess was sitting there low with a can of beer. A slice of the banana bread sat on a paper towel next to him along with a slice from the cake I hadn't even put together yet. Was going to have to bake another now. “Thought you guys were Kelly.” Sitting up Jess changed the channel on the living room tv.

“Why are you hiding from Kelly?” questioning his brother, Bam stole a chunk of the cake and Jess smashed it out of his had. Now I had cake to clean up too. Placing the bags on the floor, I attempted to figure out which was safer to do first. Start a new cake or clean up the mess.

“I forgot to take Ava Christmas shopping today.”

With a fresh cake in the oven, I grabbed a roll of paper towels and windex. Legitimately cleaning this house was so pointless it wasn't funny. Walking back up the stairs, I stopped to clean up a spot where Jess had dropped some of the cake and then stepped in it. “I'm just saying little bro, you have to move fast before she gets J. Caso-ed.” What that exactly meant I didn't understand. But I stayed there eavesdropping on the brothers. “If you don't take Ames off the market then someone else will.”

“Jess-”

“You guys are a couple anyways and have been since September.” Jess cut off his brother. “So it doesn't matter anyways.”

“So how was your night at the supermodel's?” the question left my mouth as Kay walked into the kitchen carrying my guitar case. Probably should have had her bring my laptop or clothes or something, but my guitar was more important. Taking in the look on Kay's face I figured it out though “Wanna help me ice this cake?”

Placing the top layer over the strawberry filling, I grabbed the icing I blended. “YES!”

Ditching her coat and bag onto the table, Kay walked next to me as a pack of insane men rushed out the door. I only noticed who a few were and seeing Chad stop and stare at my guitar case, I threw my chocolate icing covered spatula at him. The last one to walk down the stairs did so in a unique style.

Jimmy Pop reached the bottom of the stairs and posed. He was in head to toe camo with even facepaint to match. “CAKE!”

Pointing her spatula at him, Kay got Jimmy to stop in his tracks. “Tell us what you are up too and you get cake.”

“They are playing 'midnight manhunt' with paintball guns.” Taking the spatula Kay extended out, he started cleaning it off with his tongue. Kay started calling in back up as I cut a slice for our informant. Then headed up to look at what was left of the camo the guys had left behind. Was defiantly enough to make some amazing outfits out of it.