Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Family Christmas Party?

(Kay's POV)

“This is a bad bad idea.” Rake muttered from the backseat of Chad's SUV. Everyone ignored him.

Chad was driving down the darkened streets of West Chester. It was nearly 7pm and Ape's family Christmas party was almost starting. I glanced at the clock on the dashboard again. We would make it just after the rest of the guests... not that we'd been invited.

In the backseat sat Rake, the aforementioned complainer, Bethany Rose, one of Bam's longtime friends and the bartender at the Note, and the leader singer of CKY himself, Deron J. Miller. Heather aka Captain Clubby Sparrow and her first mate, Dico, were in the car behind us. Glancing in the side mirror, I could see the tiny Toyota following closely.

“Don't they know how to be inconspicuous?” I glanced at Chad as I spoke, my head resting against the back of the seat.

Chad glanced in his mirror and grimaced. “Bran never learned secrecy.”

I had a feeling Chad was talking about something else, but didn't pry. It wasn't any of my business. I turned in my seat to look at the people in the back. None of them had really spoken since we left Chad's house. Deron was glancing out the window at the lights on the houses we passed. Beth, who sat in the middle, was texting away on her cell phone and Rake: he was busy looking like he'd rather be anywhere else.

“Cheer up guys!” I said with the happiest tone I could manage. “We're going to have so much fun tonight.”

Beth was the only one to look at me. “Why do I feel like I've been kidnapped?” She had a smile on her face.

I smiled back. “It's because you were.”

Chad grunted in the driver's seat, but I ignored him. Beth's smile widened.

“Ape is going to be so pissed.” Rake said next.

Deron finally pulled his gaze from the window and leveled a glare at the wild haired man. “Grow up Rake.”

Rolling my eyes, I fell back into my seat and looked at Chad. “I'm starting to see why you separated those two.”

Chad smiled at me when Deron cursed under his breath. Suddenly, the sight of Bam Margera's home loomed up ahead. The driveway was packed with cars and I knew this would be beautiful.

“Show time.” Chad said as he parked the car down the driveway.

The group of us climbed out of the vehicle and watched as Dico parked behind us. Heather had taken the time to dress up like a fucked up version of Santa Claus while Dico was her elf. I had seen so many things in all of the years I've known Heather and yet, she still somehow surprised me.

She hurried through the snow with Dico at her side urging her on. Chad shook his head at the sight and, holding out his arm to me which I gladly took, we followed them. Deron, Beth and Rake trailed behind. I knew Deron was excited for what was going to happen, but Rake didn't want April to be mad at him. Beth just seemed to come along for the experience. Aimee and I had already ruined Ape's decorating... I don't think she'd be too mad.

I could hear the Margera-Cole family from the outside even with the door firmly closed. I watched out of the corner of my eye as Clubby and her man walked around the side of the house and disappeared. I didn't know what their intentions were, but I waited for the screams that I knew it would cause.

After a minute or two of standing out in the snow, trying not to shiver though it was hard, gasps and screams filled the house. Suddenly, Clubby's voice rang out clearly.

“HO HO HO!”

The sound of Dico's caroling was the signal. Deron pulled open the front door and burst into the house with a pair of reindeer antlers on his head. Rake, with his own pair of antlers, followed without any encouragement. Beth was holding up her cell phone and filming the ordeal as she followed as well. I smiled as Chad led me inside. I had never seen so many people before, but then I knew both Phil and April had many siblings each. Those siblings had children and yeah... it was insanity.

Vito's babbling was heard over the chaos and I couldn't help myself. I burst out into giggles. My arm was still wrapped in Chad's and I leaned into him to keep from falling over. Aimee cleared the people and was at my side. Her face was flushed, but it was clearly the exhilaration of what was happening around her instead of any anger or embarrassment she might have felt.

“Oh my God!” She gasped as she glanced at Clubby tossing gifts at random people. I had no idea what was in the boxes and I could guess it would be horrible if someone opened them, but the sight left Aimee gasping for breath. “This is the best day of my life!”

I smiled at her enthusiasm. “Merry Christmas!”

Chad's hand squeezed my arm and I glanced up at him. His face was full of some kind of emotion I wasn't used to seeing. I felt myself shiver under his gaze.

“You're in for it...” Aimee told me as she spied April's face. I turned my attention back to her. “Ape's never going to forgive you.”

I shrugged. “I'm not the one dating her son.”

Aimee ignored me and pulled me away from the guitarist and into the fray. I was grateful for the save. Chad was looking at me with an expression I wasn't prepared for. It was as if... as if he cared about me. The thought made my stomach twist in nerves. I couldn't let anything form between us.

It would destroy me.

Instead, I put on a bright smile and joined the festivities.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy!